SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindyxeus_gw

traveling with pets IMPORTANT

cindyxeus
16 years ago

Hi room, it's been a while since I posted. I had a lot going on and was on vacation. While I was on vacation my dog bloated. Thankfully he pulled through it and is mending quite well.

I am sharing this with you all because without my planning on knowing exactly where an ER vet clinic was in the closest proximity to where I would be staying I clearly would have lost my dog to this terrible acute condition. For those of you that do not know what bloat is here is a link http://vetsurgerycentral.com/gdv.htm

I can not stress enough how fast this occurs and how limited ones time frame is to save your dogs life.

whether it be bloat or another life saving emergency if you're on the road it's pretty difficult to be near a vet in a small time frame, but there are books you can get about where certain ER Vets are while traveling. Here's a link to one of those books..

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-E-R-Guide-After-Hour-Veterinary/dp/0934798893

Another very important thing to do is to google a nearby veterinary day and evening service that will be close to wherever you are staying. Call before you leave to see if they except non patients, most do but some don't so you want to make sure the one you choose will be of service to you if god forbid you need it.

Secondly as soon as you get settled (the sooner the better) drive to where the place is so you get a good feel for how close or how bad the traffic is to actually get to the place. Check hours..make sure the place will be operating at the time you may need it.

This all may seem extreme and even though I prepared for the possibility of accidents with all my animals while traveling I never actually needed it until last week. I honestly had no time to look up phone numbers in a town I wasn't familiar with, there simply wasn't enough time. In fact the ER vet commended me for my actions and by planning ahead for it was that action that kept my dog from completely going into torsion which has a lot of repercussions, and worse dying.

Anyway I just thought if I posted this and shared our experience it may help others plan ahead.

Comments (13)