SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoenipp

Best digital SLR for beginner

zoenipp
17 years ago

Hi. I'm a Kitchen Forum member with a camera question. I have a nice little digital Canon camera that takes good pictures for me. However, I would like to upgrade to an SLR so that I can take better action pictures at my daughters' sporting events and more professional-looking family pictures.

I have been eyeing the digital Canon Rebel XT for several years, waiting for the price to drop on this top-rated beginner SLR. My husband now wants to purchase one for my upcoming birthday. This morning, I was researching on CNET and they are no longer recommending Canon as their first selection; they do not like the newer model, the XTi as well as the original XT. I can still purchase an XT online; I can't afford their first choice, the Nikon D80.

My questions are as follows:

1. Am I on the right track looking at the older model XT?

2. Should I purchase it with the accompanying lens or would I be better off buying lenses separately? I know I will need a different lens to do much zoom work or action shots. I know the lenses will be more expensive but if they are that much better than the one that comes with the camera, it is a good investment. On CNET, the consumer reviews say to purchase separate lens; they just don't specify type and brand.

3. If I should purchase separate lens, what would YOU recommend size and brand-wise if I know upfront I will probably need to start out with two lenses?

Comments (3)

Sponsored