SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Digital Camera Opinions & Comments *Please!*

Buehl
15 years ago

I'm in the market for a new digital camera. I've gotten so much help and great advice on the Kitchens, Appliances, & Plumbing forums that I thought I would check in here to see what you have to say.

My old camera, a Canon PowerShot A640 has bit the dust (concrete...twice, actually!) and now I need a new one. For the most part, I liked the camera except it didn't have a "sports mode", let me use a fill-in flash in Auto mode, or take very good pictures from a distance--especially inside (stage for bands & plays)

So I've been doing some research (first non-kitchen research in almost a year!). I've looked at:

1. Canon PowerShot S5 IS

2. Canon PowerShot A650 IS

3. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50K

4. Leica V-Lux 1

5. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T100

I think I have it narrowed down to:

• Canon PowerShot A650 ISand
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50

My biggest problem w/the Panasonic is the size...>2x weight of the Canon & bigger overall.

The Canon is pretty much the same as my old A640 w/the addition of the image stablilizer...but it has the problem of the no fill-in flash in Auto mode & no Sports Mode...don't know about distance shots but w/image stabilizer I think it should be at least a little better than the A640!

I use my camera a lot for my children's school & sports events, family events, and lately, thoroughly documenting our Kitchen/PR/Foyer remodel. My children are very active in sports as well as are in bands (my DS made the upper HS band for his Freshman year next year) and plays...so I need a camera that can take fast-action shots as well as far-away shots (both stage & sports fields).

Does anyone have any comments or opinions on either of my top picks...or any of them at all...or even something else for me to look at? I don't want a 4-digit priced dSLR camera, but I do like to play around with settings and such, so an "intermediate" camera is best for me. I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars...and my DH isn't arguing too much since he's the one who dropped it...twice...on the concrete.

(Yes, I searched the Forum and read all the "digital" camera threads that were less than a year old...technology changes so fast!)

TIA for your help!!!

Comments (5)