SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anne_marie_alb

Urination problem in a male (neutered) cat

Anne_Marie_Alb
15 years ago

He always uses the litter box.. BUT.. he will start squatting, and, almost right away, he will rise his behind and will spray right at the wall (up to 14" high). Not every time. He will go a few days urinating normally, and then, here he starts again. As he goes 4 times a day, and his urine is quite strong, this is a concern. I am mostly home so I can clean up right away. I came up with a system that is pretty effective as long as he uses the 'back' side-95% of the times, and as long as he doesn't use my older cat's 2 boxes-which are just the regular size. Five boxes for 4 cats-3 are 'protected'.

A little background.

He is about 3-4 years old. I adopted him 3 months ago from the shelter where I volunteer. He had been at the shelter for 15 months, and I felt he would never be adopted as he was very shy. Great cat otherwise. VERY active, playful, fun, a great personality. Great appetite, too! and he is the only male among 3 females. He gets along with all three.

Yes, he is neutered (although he looks funny in that area.. very different from my previous males). He went for his free check up when I adopted him, but the vet just shrugged his houlders and said.. "just get him a covered box'. Did not seem interested in him at all (probably thinking.. just a 'shelter cat'). I'm taking him to another vet on Monday, and thought maybe someone would have dealt with a similar situation. I have also been using the Feliway plug-in in the 2 rooms where the boxes are. Boxes are cleaned almost everyday. He usually gets quite 'hyperactive' at litter box time. Always produces a good amount. Had a partial blood work in December-kidney values and sugar levels are all normal.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Anne-Marie

Comments (15)