SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Spiders in the house

All this talk about spiders, brown recluse in particular, on the Yes or No to bed skirts thread, has me wondering.

Do you spray the inside of your house regularly?

Professional spraying or a can of Raid?

The garage too?

I don't spray because I am concerned about pesticides in the house but the cobwebs annoy me somewhat. I assume we have brown recluse spiders here but I've never heard anyone talk about them. I do see Black widows occasionally while working in the yard.

I am thinking about having our garage sprayed but am thinking of doing it myself. What should I use?

I should make it clear I have a zero tolerance for any spider in the house that I can see. I would stay up all night before I went to bed with a spider in the room.

We do have wolf spiders that come in through the doors sometimes - and those are the worst- they run from the back door to my bedroom (at the other end of the house!) and head for behind the dresser. Sigh. I have to move the dresser to get 'em.

Comments (82)

• User
    15 years ago

Alright I'm looking at the purple bottle right now. . .

Says HOMS Bio Block Orangic Pest Control.

For indoor & outdoor use, safe for food prep areas,pet areas, countertops, floors, walls & other surfaces. residual activity lasts up to 30 days. kills ants, cockroaches, & spiders on contact.

Our house is new so I haven't really seen any pests. Time will tell. It does have a slight funk smell but it goes away.

• quietlife3
    15 years ago

I had a brown recluse fall in my shirt the other day. He was a baby, and he didn't bite me. We do spray for them, and terminate them when we find them, even though they are non-agressive. I have heard that not everyone has the same severe reaction to their bite. I don't really want to test that theory, though.

Every fall we have wolf spiders move in. They look creepy, but are harmless, so we usually let them be.

Black widows have been found outside. I'd kill them without a second thought. They are aggressive.

Ants showed up last week. We have sprayed with a diluted professional chemical usually used for termites (called Termidor, I think). It worked great all last year, but it's time to spray again.

Living in a log home in the woods of the Ozarks is grand, creepy crawlies notwithstanding.

• Related Discussions

Need help identifying a suspected pest house spider

Q

Comments (3)
    I agree that it is not venomous. I had never seen a black widow until a few years ago. This is in spite of the fact that there are lots of them in Florida. I knew at once that this was not the ordinary spider. it has a large bulbous body that looks like patent leather. I caught it in a jar to check the underside and sure enought there was the red hourglass. Needless to say I destroyed it. I have never seen the recluse even though they are prominent here. Most of these spiders do not run around the house or outdoors. They try to stay hidden in dark spaces. If you are gardening, wear gloves.
    ...See More

I'm not afraid of spiders but EEEEEEEK

Q

Comments (11)
    and the ironic thing is that is just about any day now, the fall afternoons will be swarming with little ballooning baby spiderlings. And around here it is generally guaranteed that I will walk under a tree limb or something similar where they are just now dispersing and wind up with a head draped with scramblimg babies. At least that doesn't bother me. In fact, I really hate knowing that a few are going to get squashed even if I try to be careful helping them vacate premises. One year a spider stored her egg mass under the handle of my laundry basket, which I kept on a shelf above the washer and dryer. I was sorting things one day and reached in to press the start button and in doing so, leaned right into a solid wall of descending babies. Must have been like, F-Troop goes to rappelling school. And the first time I began to suspect something was up when I kept waving away what I thought was a gnat in front of my face. Only it would swing out and away in a slow graceful arc and then swing back in close, and I realized most gnats don't travel on a string. When I reached out and pinched off the tiny web and carried the spiderling over to a houseplant, I noticed more little gnats on strings appearing at various intervals in my peripheral vision. I realized what had happened, although it took some detective work on my part to track down the source since I had not been out yet that morning. By then my husband was dying laughing...his wife had spiders in her hair. It does conjure up images of aproned housewives dancing on kitchen chairs while a mouse runs around her feet, or a bat diving into a beehive hairdo on some FarSide matron. He doesn't know how lucky he is to have a woman like me.
    ...See More

HELP. Lots of spiders in my house. What is normal for a house...

Q

Comments (107)
    And this is what spider looked like after I killed it... more like screamed for my mom to come downstairs and she after about 5 minutes of attempting to squish it finally succeeded and it moved around alot and fast kept crawling up and down on fireplace mantle.... while she tried stabbing it with a pool stick from the old pool table near by... and told me she cant do it was afraid to get a shoe or something to get close to it I yelled I am moving out today if we don't kill this now ! Lol finally we got an idea and sprayed it with some kitchen cleaner and it slowed down long enough for her to kill it . Wish I had better pics but was so freaked put when I saw it I only snapped the one very quickly just in case I lost it before it had a chance to be killed and only have the phone photo of it dead to try to help identify it.. I been reading thru a lot of thread like these I know this one is old and I've been rambling quite a bit but hope someone takes time to read and respond....
    ...See More

PEPPERMINT OIL as a spider and rodent deterent.

Q

Comments (26)
    Lukki, I'm sure bugs will still get inside our home, but it should slow them down from getting in through the screened porch when the door is open since it covers up the spaces between the deck boards. Not many were getting in, but whenever the door was open at night, we'd notice more bugs inside the house. Yep, I was in Cali visiting our daughter and her family. We hadn't seen them in over a year and our darling granddaughter was a blast. She's so funny. I have traveled more in the last three years than I had in the whole thirty plus years of my marriage before hubby started to travel for a living. Though I enjoy it, it's also very tiring. I'm just starting to feel like I have myself again. Cyn, that's not a bad idea. I might have to do that as we install our baseboard throughout the house.
    ...See More
  • brutuses
    15 years ago

quietlife, if one fell on me, I do think I'd have a heart attack right then and there. I came face to face with what we call daddy longleg spiders. Those huge spiders with white bodies and long legs. Generally harmeless. I was cleaning out an old dog house one day and looked up to see on of those at eye level with me. I fainted!!! No kidding, my sister came running outside to rivive me and didn't know what happened. I was about 13 then.

• kelpmermaid
    15 years ago

Brutuses, I am right there with you. My dad tried to help me get past this fear with a daddy longlegs, putting it on his arm, telling me how harmless it was, then he was going to put in on my arm. He looked at me, realized that I had stopped breathing, then decided we'd try again later, which we never did.

I can't even look at them. When I do see a spider around the house, I really try to ignore it. If it gets to the point where I can't, I usually go for a shoe or something. One found its way into a pair of shoes I have by the front door, and I think the whole neighborhood knew about it. Outside, I know we have black widows. If I have any pruning to do, I wear gloves, long sleeves, and long pants. I went into the attic and the crawlspace right after we bought this house (it had been fumigated,) but that will not happen again.

• justretired
    15 years ago

Each fall I purchase hedge balls (also known as osage oranges) from the grocery store. They are green, bumpy balls that are non-edible and deter spiders from your house and kill small bugs. They cost about a dollar each and are non-toxic. I place them on pieces of foil in inconspicuous places in our basement and never see a spider. They slowly rot and last about a year when I throw the remnants away and purchase new. My elderly mother hooked me on these many years ago and they really do work! Of course, it is only March. Not sure about other areas of the country but they are in stores in September in Minnesota.

JR who HATES spiders also!

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I get crickets! Not regular cricking crickets, but something called Camel back Cricket. They are disgusting and jump 10 ft. They appeared in my finished basement 3 years ago and nothing kills them except a broom. Can't even step on them because they jump at you. Called a exterminator who sprayed and sprayed and they kept appearing.

They only appear in the Spring/Summer. Exteminator says they are coming from outside, but I can't find where.

Horrible pests and I dread this coming Spring.

Jane

• oceanna
    15 years ago

I am deathly allergic to spider bites. I don't kill spiders I see outdoors, as I know they're good for the environment. However I do dust around the outside 1' permieter of my house twice a year with diatomaceous earth (from plant nursery). This seems to keep the spiders out of my house. Spiders I find on my body are dead meat, no apologies. If it's me or them, they're out of luck.

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

I hate bugs. And snakes. Hate them all...except crawfish, which we eat with much enthusiasm!

I'm happy to have our home sprayed every 3 months.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I am not a bug fan nor a snake fan at all. I am glad I am in the city. Once you get to one of the more rural locations like Carefree where it is more desert and mountains, you get coyotes, havelinas, rattlesnakes, scorpions, spiders, termites, lizards. Then you have to watch your pets closely. Some people won't buy bedskirts because the spiders or scorpions can climb up them into the bed itself. I don't even know how they get into the house. My son's step brother has had a herd of havelinas - they look like wild pigs and smell nasty - on his back patio. I think they can be aggressive too. I like dogs, cats, birds - animals like that. Well, God must have a reason for these bugs to exist. Our priest at church even mentioned that he wonders why the scorpions were created. One of God's mysteries I guess. LOL.

• mcbird
    15 years ago

In our home in texas we sprayed monthly. I don't understand why people live in texas frankly...half the population is trying to kill you....but perhaps that's just my spider, snake phobia talking :oP
    Don't forget about the scorpions!
    ...and the fire ants.

We built our house on a lake in Texas almost 2 years ago. I had no idea how bad spiders are on the lake. They are bad. Last summer I though perhaps Merlin Perkins and Wild Kingdom had invaded my world. We had fire ants, wolf spiders, some kind of spider that I squished by the pool and hundreds of little babies ran squishing out. A duck laid its eggs in one of the decorative grasses in the flower bed, which a skunk promptly ate and left the shells in the front yard. The kicker for me was emptying the bag on the pool cleaner and discovering a dead HUGE rat. Of course no one was home but me, the neighbor wasn't home so I had to deal with that myself. My son was on his way to work and went out the back door around the side of the house and there was a water mocassin all curled up ready to strike. He meant a timely death with a shovel. Two nights ago my neighbor was out in her driveway and a fox walked right through her yard. We live in the city, it's crazy. I'm pretty skeeved out now and doubt I'll sleep much tonight!

• sweeby
    15 years ago

Spiders don't bother me much unless I find them crawling on me. But then, we had a pet tarantula (Harry) for a while when I was growing up - a gift from Dad to Mom.

Now centipedes... YUCK! The nastiest, ugliest, most horrible things. I'll spray major poison to get rid of them!
    And those huge Palmetto bugs (giant cockroaches) -- Also Yuck!

According to Hubby, sealing the small holes and cracks in your house is the best way to keep out insects, and he seems to be right, because we live in a heavily wooded area in Texas, don't spray, and have almost no bugs in the house. Now outside? Different story!

• User
    15 years ago

Good grief I'm glad I live in PA :)

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Years ago I felt something brush my neck, I swiped at it and it BIT me! Left 2 teeth marks, it swelled up and hurt for hours! After that, I try to move spiders outdoors before we have an "encounter".

Years ago, my neighbor purchased cans of bug fogger, where you open the fogger cans, then leave the house for 3 days. She had to wash ALL the walls when she came back, they had a sticky gum on them. That's worse than spiders!!!

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Sweeby, when we were invaded by centipedes a few years ago, my next-door neighbor was not. He has the biggest anthill in the world on his lawn, sprays it regularly and had Terminex do it once, digs it, etc., has ants in his house sometimes. But we don't. We are on city lots with a giant woods behind us. Go figure.

As for the brown recluse spiders: You should put your minds at ease, get a big jar and very brave....and capture one. Take it to your University Extension Office and have it identified. It will cost you nothing and you'll be able to rest afterward. I'd bet my bottom dollar you don't have brown recluses.

I sure thought we had a brown recluse and could hardly sleep for worrying about it. I just knew it was going to attack and kill one of us. I captured it to show the Termi man; he identified it as one. But Hubby, ever the skeptic, said, no, let's take it to the Naturalist at the State Park. We did. The Naturalist said it was not a Brown Recluse, told us its name and said, just to be sure, "I'll send it to the extension service and see what they say."

It was not a Brown Recluse. I thought I'd never forget the real name, but I have. Anyway, it was a perfectly harmless lookalike. The creepiest, ugliest thing in the world, but not a Brown Recluse. And harmless to humans.

So do yourselves a favor and have one identified, and not by a pest control company. I'm not saying they aren't out there, but they are pretty rare.

• gregsmama
    15 years ago

McBird, that was a mama wolf spider you squished. They carry hundreds of their little babies on their backs.

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

I live in the west, and we periodically spray for both spiders and termites (they were eating my house and we had to have Terminex drill subterranean holes in our foundation and spray).

Our backyard pool area has a lot of natural rockscape, and it's a breeding ground for black widows - they're all over the place. I found one in my daughter's tricycle once (while she was riding on it).

We know it's past time to spray when we walk outside at night to the jacuzzi. My dh brings his flashlight and in every corner and crevice of our hardscape you can see many, many webs with hundreds of black widows. We have to wear protective footwear and shake everything off after our dip in the jacuzzi. Scary!

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

I don't know what I would do if I had to deal with those huge spiders. Just like Igloochic, we don't have dangerous spiders here either. However I am still trying to catch ratatouille. Last night it sounded like he was bowling between floors. So loud it even made Buddy wake from his life of luxury sleep on the couch and take a glance in the direction of the noise. I mean who ever heard of a mouse wearing steel toed boots? It is the only possible explanation of the racket he is making up there in the ceiling! I think since we can't seem to catch, poison, kill, whatever, we will soon have to give him a name!

• User
    15 years ago

Well thanks to you guys.. :) I was pretty sure I was safe here but did some searching yesterday only to find they do exist in PA. I thought asian beetles were the only annoying thing.

• lv_r_golden
    15 years ago

I had seen this thread but had not read it until now. I don't "like" spiders though we don't have our house or yard sprayed regularly, I do it myself when we are being overtaken by things with way more legs than I have. I have been known to kill all spiders in the house. They are creepy to me.

Company was coming in Monday evening, so I hosed off the patio furniture that afternoon, noticing odd webs under the table (we have lot of PB Chesapeake - brown wood furniture). I sprayed water all over up in there but couldn't ever get a critter to show himself so I actually put bug spray on the underside of the table. Never saw a thing - we have been sitting out there most evenings. This morning the company Dad comes in and takes me aside somewhat mortified....yep, a big 'ol black widow mama was laying under the table on the patio, still moving but obviously ill from where I had sprayed. BWs are so sneaky and tough - they hide well too.

Was there a contest? First Black Widow of the season? Did I win? We are eating outside tonight but I am not saying a word, I also am not sitting at that end of the table.

It seems I couldn't keep the secret and had to tell someone so I wrote this.......I now have to open the BBQ for the first time in a few months, I can't wait to see what moved into that over winter. uugghh.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We go to parks a lot on picnics and I will not put my legs under a picnic table there, ever. Creepy, Parma!

• rosie
    15 years ago

You would have loved our camping spot far down an old dirt road in the desert years ago, on a slope overlooking a vast empty valley. At dusk we discovered we'd come to visit Tarantulatown when they came out by the hundreds and were strolling around everywhere we looked, maybe one every 10 feet or so on average. I glued myself to our three-year-old and we joined the crowd enjoying the lovely evening.

• twizzis
    15 years ago

I'm not at all afraid of the spiders as much as I am of the bats. Once I saw something moving around on my LR floor. At first glance I honestly thought it was some kind of enormous spider until I flipped on the light and lo and behold a black bat hissing at me with his white front teeth with pink tongue and inner cheeks. I shudder each and every time I think about it. You should have seen our household trying to get that thing out.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

surprise, cobwebs are NOT made by spiders..they are filiments of dust collecting in long threads..you can bomb your garage..but i wouldn't do anything in the house unless you know you have a serious spider problem

• gldnfan
    15 years ago

THis is a very informative and amusing thread ;-)

Still LOL at half of the population trying to kill you in Texas!

I live in California - plenty of insects and spiders - fortunately few nasty snakes - I have no desire to ever live anywhere close to a water moccasin. I'll take spiders over snakes any day. Honestly, how can you enjoy a lake with those things around? I have always wondered why anyone would swim in or want to live near a lake with those horrid creatures!

We have a ton of BW and we do have brown recluse - they are not rare out here, BUt as far as I know I have never been bitten even though I do all my own yard work and am working around stone walls and other spider havens. They really are not aggressive - they bite only when you get in their way. Unlike the house spiders that have a field day on poor DS - he must smell sweet cause none of the rest of us ever get a bite. We are living in a converted barn while remodeling. Talk about lots of open cracks and places to come in! Only 6 more weeks until we are in our new - tightly sealed - even the crawl space is completely wrapped in barrier - house. I really hope that goes a long way to keeping all critters out.

THe poster with tap dancing rat? We had that in our old crawl space - had a deck built over the crawl space opening - the deck builder left off the cover. A few months later we heard high pitched squealing and would hear banging on the ductwork at night - a little like tap-dancing ;-) Called someone out - and discovered the missing cover. Could not put it back on until we trapped the raccoons - yeah right - we did catch some of the rats ;-) and knew they were out. Finally I happened to look out the window one morning and saw the raccoon mom carrying babies up and over the fence!

I am really looking forward to not sharing our home with quite so much wildlife.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

I generally let spiders live as long as they stay away from me. Centipedes have to die and quickly. Shermann, I have that problem too. They come in the powder room (I think along the plumbing) which is right next to the office where I work where they crawl under the molding. I never work barefoot any more and frequently check to make sure that none are coming in.

I don't like chemicals but I also am very sick of the ants. I am going to have to call a professional soon because no matter how clean my house is, I can find many, many of them. Which really stinks because my mom's house is not clean and she has no ant problem. The ants are beyond ridiculous now so I have bought some chemicals and traditional methods have not worked. For centipedes, I will use whatever spray is available to me, even hairspray. Nasty, vile creatures.

• donnawb
    15 years ago

I lived in a rental before this house was built and I had so many spiders. I would get rid of them and clean the whole house. A few hours later I would see spiders in the same places that I had cleaned of the webs and stuff. I was ready to move back to the other coast because I don't mind a spider but don't want to live amongst so many. We moved into this house and I have only seen a few daddy long legs. I have found a few recluses and black widows out side.

My problem this year is ants. I can't seem to find where they are coming from and I have sprayed all over. I seem to get rid of them and then a week later they are back.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I just saw an episode of "The Exterminators" on A & E. The reality show about the exterminating company in N. Louisiana. He went to get rid of a horrible spider problem someone was having. They had black and brown widows all over the outside of their house. After he killed the ones there he instructed the home owner to install some zappers by the pond that was a few hundred feet from the house so the flying insects would get zapped out there. He also told the home owner to install yellow bug lights on the house so flying insects wouldn't be attracted to the house and thus the spiders would not come for that food source. Made sense.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

igloochic I'm with u. hate spiders love anything that kills em. I have such a phobia and now that I own a house in the country, I'm having the exterminator come in May to kill all bugs. I don't want ants, termites, spiders, moths, mosquitos.... nature, smature I say give me chemicals.

quietlife3: O M G... I WOULD HAVE RIPPED MY CLOTHES OFF, THEN MY SKIN. I am terrified, irrationally terrified, of spiders.

brutuses, I have crossed the street to get away from daddy long legs... I've called friends to come over and kill them when I was frozen with fear. ugh. So sorry to hear about your cat's paw. I have a little dog and he jumps into the boston ivy that's all over the back yard and now I'm worried about him getting bit. yikes.

okay now that I've read about wolf spiders and hundreds of babies, I'm opening a bottle of wine. Must numb my mind quickly. This new cottage i bought has tons of spider holes. I've had my painter/handyman fill them as we go along renovating. Oddly enough I've caught 5 mice myself (in those snap traps) and that doesn't freak me out but spiders.... I passed this thread for days because I WAS AFRAID JUST TO READ ABOUT SPIDERS!

THANK U SO MUCH WHO EVER SAID TO TURN GARDENING GLOVES INSIDE OUT! I just went out to my garage, got my gloves and put them into tight plastic bags.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Reading this thread has certainly made me feel better. Heck, we were raised by our moms to kill bugs on sight... then when we got all grown up we were told we have to capture them and tenderly put them outside. So now if we kill them we feel guilty and wonder about bad karma. How fair is that?

• twizzis
    15 years ago

oceanna, a wolf spider's been teasing me for 2 days in my living room. I won't feel guilty what-so-ever when I finally get 'em.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Twizzis, just remember, human bites are always fatal to spiders. :D

• twizzis
    15 years ago

hahahaaaaa I'll let you know how he tastes.

• groomingal
    15 years ago

Brown Recluse are very common here and there is no spray available OTC or by pest control that will take care of them and keep them from coming back. I'm no fan of chemicals, my shoe or flyswatter works just as well for the occasional poisonous spider.
    A doctor I worked for got bit on the breast by one- it was in her nightgown. She ended up getting reconstructive surgery because of the extensive damage.
    Another friend put on a pair of overalls he kept in a shed for yard work and got a bite on the rear end. One of the colleges used him as a case study.
    When we moved into the current house there were oodles of spiders and the P/O had mothballs everywhere. I took up the mothballs and put down some sticky traps and didn't have a problem after a couple of weeks or so.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I know three people that were bit by brown recluse spiders. One in Florida where a large part of his ankle was cut out. And he got to the hospital soon after the bite. Another person was bite in Indiana. And another friend was bite on the knee and much of it was cut out. eck!

Yes, they scare me but they hide in dark places hence the name recluse. So, be sure to turn the lights on for an hour or so in a dark area before going in and always check shoes and gloves and such.

I think they have a violin on the their back but without my glasses on I could never see it.

My house is 114 years old and it does scare me a bit when I go into the closet under the stairs to get my xmas decorations each year. But I am very careful.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

I have never been afraid of spiders but now I feel like maybe I should be! Where do these brown recluses live, anyway? Are they in the Midwest?

My daughter was talking about going to college somewhere warm, being tired of Chicago winters. I told her that wherever they donÂt get killed off by winter, the bugs keep growing bigger and bigger. That stopped that notion dead in its tracks.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

From the Illinois Dept of Public Health:

Perhaps no other American spider has fostered so many myths and misrepresentations as the brown recluse. Misunderstanding and misinformation about the distribution and prevalence of the brown recluse is often as exaggerated as the imagined consequences of the brown recluseÂs bite. The spiderÂs reputation has suffered at the hands of uninformed public, media, pest control operators and physicians.

Brown recluse do bite people. And the bites can result in serious medical complications including disfiguring wounds. Yet bites are uncommon  even though brown recluse are common in some parts of the United States. The spider is, after all, reclusive, not aggressive toward people, and prefers to run rather than bite. This explains why people can live in a house with thousands of brown recluse, without being bitten. Bites typically occur when the spider is trapped between the skin and clothing or bedding. Therefore, clothing and bedding, especially those that have not been used for awhile, should be inspected prior to use in infested structures.

The recluseÂs largely undeserved reputation often comes to mind when brown-colored spiders are discovered in the home, or when nasty-looking skin lesions appear. ItÂs estimated that the majority of spider bites diagnosed as "brown recluse bites" are actually attributable to other medical conditions. The frequent misdiagnosis of necrotic injuries is evident in numerous reports of brown recluse bites from areas not inhabited by brown recluse. Brown recluse are extremely rare outside their known range (see illustration), yet "brown recluse spider bite" remains a catch-all diagnosis for necrotic wounds. Diabetes, impetigo, Lyme disease, tularemia, cutaneous anthrax, necrotizing fasciitis, Staphylococcus aureus infection and other maladies can produce necrotic wounds that resemble brown recluse bites, making diagnosis difficult or impossible without witnesses to the bite, collection of the spider, and its identification as a brown recluse by someone familiar with the species.

It is estimated that 80% of reported brown recluse bites may be misdiagnosed. The misdiagnosis of a wound as a brown recluse bite could delay proper treatment of serious diseases.[2] There is now an ELISA-based test for brown recluse venom that can determine if a wound is a brown recluse bite, although it is not commercially available and not in routine use.[23][2]

I am still looking for the actual incidence rate of Brown recluce spider bites. Can't find it yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcreclusespiders.htm

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Brown recluse spiders, like some of the other spiders, thrive on the carcuses of dead roaches. Many people have their homes sprayed for roaches, which can enhance the brown recluse/spider problem.

If you keep pets in your house and you are using the spray from the veterinarian for fleas(that very expensive spray that you spray and leave home for several hours after spraying), that should kill the spiders. If you have an older home and you are required to put moth balls in your closet to keep your clothes from being destroyed by moths, then that should help the spider and snake problem.

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

I kept watching the post count on this thread go up.... and up and finally wondered, how much can be said about spiders in the house??? Well, I just read it now. OMG you guys have me in stitches! Your stories are hysterical and gross and yes, scary. I'm quite glad we have the winters we do here in Chicago. We have bugs and spiders and even those nasty camel crickets but for the most part we manage to co-exist without chemicals. I have no guilt, however, about vacuuming up all the lady-bug look-alike beetles that swarm in my 3 season porch on warm fall days and then tossing the bag ;-)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

That statement that "cobwebs are NOT made by spiders..they are filaments of dust collecting in long threads" is WRONG!!

Cobwebs most certainly ARE made by spiders, and I've actually sat on our porch and watch the spiders make them! Click on the link for verification.

Here is a link that might be useful: what are cobwebs

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Yes. The dust floating in the air collects on the random filaments of the web.

Alas, I used to try that one out on my mother, too. She knew better.

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

About ANTS... you can keep them out by drawing a circle with a piece of chalk around where they enter. They do not like to walk over chalk. Someone told me this when we first moved to CA and had ants coming in. I thought it sounded like some kind of superstition or old wives' tale, but tried it anyway and it worked. No more ants. You have to refresh the chalk mark once in a while.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Ants also hate to walk across a line of black pepper.

• monark
    15 years ago

We just delt with Brown recluses in our home, until we knew what they were we actually had them crawl on us a few times which was quite enough for us, I searched and searched, spraying was not an option as it creats a very nice menu of dead bugs for them, so I found a product called Diatomaceous Earth or fossil flour at Lowes garden center it's organic and says it safe, it kills the critters and makes it irritating to walk through, we sprinkled it in every cranny , around the walls and even put it on the dog for flea control when frontline wouldnt work.We also sprinkled it in the attic with a feather duster, it's messy and dusty wear a mask.in the house I used an empty parmesan cheese container to lightly sprinkle, we then found they started crawling up the walls I guess to get out of the dry irritating dust so I dusted slightly up the walls , We have noticed a huge reduction in their sightings and it has been about 6 months since we started using the "flour" . When those nasty biting orange lady bugs showed up I dusted the outside doors where they were landing and they showed immediate signs of irritation and would fly away, noticed very few on my doors and siding after that.I hope this stuff is as safe as they say and it works for so many other things.worked perfect for the fleas on our animals as well. It's supposed to be organic and I'm all for that.
    Karen

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

You think spiders are bad? A three to four foot snake got into my house two years ago in April. It changed my personality and just a few days ago a neighbor saw another snake in my yard. I put snake away around my entire house and I feel snake I mean safe. lol

I now have a pest control guy that helps me with the squirrels. He said, it is highly unlikely that a snake will ever come in here again. But I sleep with a shovel by my bed.

I said I would never tell this story, oh well.

Please please don't tell me any "They came back" snake stories my heart couldn't take it.

• letmag
    15 years ago

A little late response, but my exterminator recommended i change my outdoor light bulbs to the yellow ones. He said that the white or bright light bulbs attract bugs and that means it's a buffet for spiders and once on the outside they'll migrate indoors. The yellow bulbs don't attract as many bugs therefore I should see less spider activity since the food supply has been cut down some. I have noticed that I don't see as many spiders as I used to since I've changed my bulbs.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but i just breezed through the replies and didn't see it.

From this months Woman's Day magazine:

"Sprint spots where cobwebs keep appearing with a solution of 1 quart of white vinegar and one tsp coconut oil. The solution repels spiders so you will stay web free for longer."

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

I wanted to add to this delightfully scary thread: It's May, my exterminator came over to "Kill every thing but the dog". My words, not his. So he went from top to basement, killing spiders etc. He told me I had a 'TON" of spiders in the basement. that's where my laundry room is. I was like "you had to say TON, you couldn't a handful???" He knows I'm phobic over spiders. Funny man!

then he told me I had THREE wasps nests outside under my eaves. Brother. I'm beginning to miss the roaches in NYC.

I think I want to try some of these "sprinkle around the edges" type solutions so I'm off to Lowes now. Can't have enough protection. Week before he came, there was a spider on the ceiling of my bedroom. Ceiling is only 7' high. So I got a magazine to kill him and ended up knocking him onto my bed instead where he proceeded to run for his life! I got him though but could barely fall asleep worrying "are there more?" I HATE SPIDERS.

• lv_r_golden
    15 years ago

Warning: creepy pictures

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519101,00.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6231301.ece

Anyone else see this? This part of Australia just got dropped off my Bucket List.....

I wouldn't have looked for this thread to post this but was still grossed out by the articles and then saw this thread had resurfaced.....sorry, had to share.

• patricianat
    15 years ago

New Dawn, Snakeaway is basically moth balls. If you use roach spray extermination, you will have brown recluse spiders as they live and thrive on the carcuses of roaches and since the toxin that kills roaches is not toxic to spiders, it only whets their appetites for more. If you spray your houses for fleas and ticks, and put the proper medications on your pets (and shame on you for not taking proper care of your pets if you do not prevent them from having heart worms, fleas and ticks)and use that in your house it will eliminate spiders. Spiders, ticks, fleas have the same respiratory systems. New Dawn, if you put moth balls or snakeaway in your yard, does that ensure they will come inside? I don't know but I did have a copper head come in my house once and we could not find it. My Persian cat found it in a plant at the point of death about a week later. The herpetologists had tried to trap it but could not. I don't think they are all that but are less. I just wondered if the snake was dying from starvation or from the medication we use for fleas,ticks, or if I just scared him half to death with my incessant screaming.

• angeldog
    15 years ago

I've read somewhere online that moth balls do absolutely nothing to ward away snakes. I live in Texas and my elderly father used to get sandwich baggies, poke holes in them and fill them with mothballs. He would then go all around my property placing them in corners of the house (outside) and up against the brick walls. One day my son was mowing the yard and told me, "dont bother putting out moth ball baggies anymore..I just saw a huge poisonous snake (identified by the colors) and he was happily curled up on one of the mothball baggies!" Frankly, I've never found anything to keep away snakes except a hoe!