SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justgotabme

PEPPERMINT OIL as a spider and rodent deterent.

justgotabme
8 years ago

I thought it best to start a new thread so I could answer any questions and it not get lost in Sue's bite thread.

Not long after we moved into our new home in the country we realized we had mice, lots of mice, in the basement. While trapping what had gotten in during construction, and I'm sure populated more once they were in, hubby did some research online on how to keep them out. Being we live in the country surrounded by corn and bean fields we knew we didn't want to have to deal with constantly trapping them.
What he found was that ten drops of 100% Pure Peppermint Essential Oil on cotton balls placed about six feet apart around the base of the house, in our case the joists in the basement, would keep them out. Since we have a walk out basement, we also put some near the door to keep them from running in when the door is open while we are loading wood. We have a wood work shop in our basement.
We also tucked some into our pantry just to play it safe in case we didn't get them all trapped.
Since I hate killing any of God's creatures it was hard for me to do this, but once they are in your home, it's really the easiest way to get rid of them. I am so happy to say that we have only had two mice in our home in the last ten years since starting to do this. One I brought it accidentally in a box from the garage. We are working on finding a way to keep the peppermint stronger in there to keep them out. And I believe the other came in through the basement door when hubby was working outside and the left the basement door open most of the day.
As mentioned in the other thread, I noticed that we no longer had spiders in our home, and looked it up and sure enough Peppermint Oil deters them too.

Actually pretty much all bugs and rodents are allergic to Peppermint, so if you want you can plant some around the parameter of your home to deter them also.
Though I haven't tried any other uses for Peppermint Oil, I thought you might find this article interesting.

25 Uses for Peppermint Oil

This is where we purchase ours.

Comments (26)