SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Waht should I do with this bay window?

2ajsmama
15 years ago

When we designed the house with the bay I envisioned floor-to-ceiling bookcases on either side of the bay, with perhaps a small table and pair of chairs in the center that I could move out of the way for the tree every Xmas. We are still talking bookcases (though I'm wondering about going to ceiling b/c it would pretty much require crown around the top of all 5 walls, won't do entire room b/c of budget, ending over kitchen cabinets, etc.). But it has kind of morphed into loveseat in bay except at Xmas b/c we need seating for at least 4 adults - sofa and l/s are less than 1 yr old so they're staying.

I'm wondering about trim now since we can't do windowseat with loveseat there. I hate the way the stool on the center window ends right at the corners, and so close (but yet so far!) from the stools on the side windows, plus it is not quite as deep. Carpenter suggested a single stool to tie the 3 windows together. I can widen the casing on the center window to go all the way to the corners, but the side windows are centered (more or less) in their walls so will still have narrow strip of paint in between the windows.

Carpenter also suggested a shelf over the windows to echo the stool, but I'm thinking shelf over slider to bring it up visually to height of windows in room, and I don't think it would look good to have 2 shelves at different heights in the same room. Carpenter also suggested continuing bookcases under the windows (if I don't want windowseat) coming all the way up to the stool, same depth (9-12") as bookcases on the sides. I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to that expense right now, but want to leave options open for the future (may even do a windowseat in 10 years after loveseat is trashed or goes to college with ds). I love valinsv's desk but my windows are so low the top would be right at the window sill (and still be lower than normal 29-30" table). I am second-guessing the single stool idea b/c her window looks so nice with separate stools and aprons, but she looks she's got more wall on either side of her center window than I do, and more space between windows. Any opinions appreciated!

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1448174}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (4)