SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

We didn't have accommodations like this when I was in college!

nhb22
15 years ago

For those that love old houses...

I thought y'all would like to see where my son and his roommate are getting ready to move into for their last year or so in college. They are renting this fabulous condominium.

I have included some photos that my son took with his cell phone.

An recent article about the condos and the renovator:

Century-old building on Eighth Street converted to condos

"One couple is converting a 1910-era apartment building in the M.L. King neighborhood into condos while preserving original details inside the historic structure.

"We specialize in historic renovations, in MLK, Highland Park, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, all the old hot spots," said Lindsay Lemmon of Southern Historical Homes.

Mr. Lemmons wife, Kim, said the couple moved to Chattanooga six years ago from Atlanta and fell in love with the areaÂs historic homes. They have renovated a former building at into a four-unit condo building called The Dream Building Condos. The name is a tie-in to the M.L. King neighborhoodÂs history, she said.

The couple may move into one of the condos, Mrs. Lemmon said, and sell the remaining units. The units are about 1,500 square feet each. CNE offers a $10,000 forgivable loan. ThereÂs also a $15,000 forgivable loan from the Lyndhurst Foundation through ArtsMove Chattanooga; the incentives cannot be combined.

The architecture, the historic character and detail, and the painstaking restoration are remarkable. We love the character these old homes have, Mrs. Lemmon said.

With the Victorians, thereÂs a grand feeling with lofty ceilings and big windows. The attention to details they had in the houses sometimes escapes new construction.

A number of historical details have been preserved, Mrs. Lemmon said, including pocket doors, fireplaces with original mantles and bevel mirrors, and crown molding. In each unit, the only addition to the bathrooms was the addition of a stand-alone shower, she said, to accompany the bathrooms original clawfoot bathtubs. Each bedroom in the condos has a fireplace, she said.

The couple has renovated about a dozen homes in the Chattanooga area, she said."

Photos

Foyer

Living Room

Son's bedroom

Dining room

Bathroom

Kitchen

A few problems with the place...not much wall space in the living area for entertainment set-ups (TV, DVD, etc..) No window coverings (blinds will be too expensive for these large windows, so they will have to use tension rods, and find some good deals on curtains.) Lastly, the boys have very little furniture between themselves. LOL They have beds, dressers, a nice Christopher Madden computer desk, and a futon. No dining table and chairs, no occasional chairs, no porch or back deck furniture, and no rugs. The condo is all hardwood flooring.

They will really be scouring yard sales and CraigsList. Well, I am scouring CL for them, as they both have jobs on top of school and very little time to do much else but study.

My son loves this place so much, that he says he plans to stay after school is out. We will see how that goes after he has to pay those heating bills next winter. Hopefully, they will not be so bad with the new insulation the owners have put in.

The best thing about this complex is that it is right on the college campus! The guys will have a 12 minute walk to classes, or a 2 minute car ride. I have suggested bikes for a 4 minute ride and to conserve gas.

Here is a website about the place.

Click on below link, and then listing #115 to read about the condo and see more photos:

Comments (30)