SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
altbs4

Big puppy + Little puppy

altbs4
15 years ago

I have a 1 year old pure bread Australian Shepard and we recently rescued a very small mutt (no idea what all she has in her) Being winter when the weather gets really cold we bring our Aussie (Bella) indoors. Bella is pretty well behaved for her age and respects me to the point where I can take meat from her mouth and she'll sit and wait hoping I'll give it back. I've never really seen Bella as being a "puppy" mainly because of her size. With the addition of the new puppy though she has come alive but I kind of worry about the new puppy. When Bella is inside she follows the new puppy (Baby) step for step. She doesn't often growl or snap mainly just a lot of butt sniffing and nudging. They often play where Baby will crawl on Bella and bite at her ears and such. Bella plays back as well by putter her mouth to the side of the puppy as if she were going to bite her but never actually bites down. It appears that Bella is careful around the puppy to the extent of holding one leg in the air to avoid stepping on her. From what I can see the play is harmless with a lot of belly exposing and no fighting over food or water but should I be worried based purely on Bella's size (since Baby can walk underneath her without hitting) or should I just let them play. I often worry that the play will get out of hand and that even if not intentional Bella could seriously hurt Baby. I believe they get along and have accepted one another based on their behavior when separated. I just want to know from more knowledgeable people if I should be worried or signs I should watch for to ensure their play doesn't become harmful or aggressive.

Comments (6)