SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarletshouse

Help me make sense of wildly different painting bids

scarletshouse
12 years ago

The entire downstairs and upper hallway of my 1750 sf home needs interior painting, using a 3-color scheme. There are quite a few texture fixes needed, including one wall in the kitchen that will have to be skim coated. I got three bids, all by professionals. I have a two story living room with walls extending into the upper hallway. The ceiling won't be painted. In the family room and kitchen (normal height) the ceiling will be painted. My bids, all from highly recommended, licensed, insured companies:

1. $3,000 from a very highly recommended painting company, seems very knowledgeable but this price makes me cringe.

2. $2,100 from a general contractor who does painting and all types of constructon. He also seems like a top knotch pro and will also repaint some of my flat-painted 6 panel doors for $50 each. He also gave me a price for darkening my light wood stair railing for $300 which sounds very reasonable. I don't think he'd do these small items if he didn't do the big job.

3. $1,395 from a painting company who does a lot of commercial and homeowner association exterior work. They have an impressive list of customers. My realtor and friend who gave me all three recommendations said this company was known to be pricy but this bid seems way low in comparison to the others. Would they cut corners at this price?

Any thoughts from you pros on how these bids could vary so wildly? Each would use top of the line Vista or Dunn Edwards, with extra charges for Benjamin Moore or other premium product. All three said not to waste money on BM, I won't be able to tell the difference. Thank you for any advice!

Comments (5)