SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rocky08_gw

Anyone have #2 red oak flooring

rocky08
14 years ago

I have found a great price on some #2 red oak flooring I am thinking of putting in the house I just bought. I had #1 finished in site in the house I built last year that was sold. I know there is variance in color, but I am worried it may look too rustic for me. The finish is natural. The price is only $2.75 a foot for 3 1/4 and I am on a budget so I really think I can live with it, but would like to see pics of some in a room. Thanks!

Comments (21)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I'm pretty sure that my floors are #2 red oak (it's been 5 years since we built, so I don't remember all the details - I know that we didn't get #1) I don't think that they look too rustic.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

You say that the finish is natural, does that mean the boards have already been finished, and someone has taken them out, or are the floors the pre-finished type, or are they just new unfinished board?

We had 3 1/4" #2 Red Oak in our previous home and they were finished with a clear Dura Seal stain.

In our current home, the 3 1/4" #2 Red Oak is finished with Minwax Puritan Pine.

{{!gwi}}

In the first home we built, we had 2" #2. Don't have a photo of it, but our builder said it was the best you could get. We don't think it is at all rustic. It's traditional.

• Related Discussions

Anyone have pics of #2 red oak?

Q

Comments (1)
    It will not look like last house....Shorts boards, Mineral streaks..much more of a rustic look. many people like the look better....It is a good price..I agree...
    ...See More

1/2 x1.5' red oak - anyone know a supplier?

Q

Comments (9)
    Just wanted to give an update now that we've been in the house for a while. We went ahead and purchased the 1.5" unfinished red oak from a company in FL for an even better price and had it drop shipped to us. We ripped out the lineoleum ourselves and had our installer install, sand and refinish everything to match. You can barely tell where the new floor starts and the old floor ends! We're really happy with it. It's actually a little lighter than the pictures portray. The only downside is that because the house is so old, the floors are pretty creaky! Before: And after:
    ...See More

Does anyone have Mirage Red Oak Charcoal in their home?

Q

Comments (0)
    Does anyone have Mirage Red Oak Charcoal in their home? Do you like it? What are the undertones - brown red or brown grey? The Internet pictures are misleading. Are you happy with Mirage? Please post pictures if you can. I'm getting a sample board this week, but would love your feedback. Thanks!
    ...See More

does anyone have pictures of red oak floors with Duraseal Rustic beige

Q

Comments (11)
    Beige has a a good amount of red pigment to it. It can turn your floors into that light pink look that no one wants. To counteract the red orange of red oak, you need to think like a hair colorist. Greens to violets are what tone down red and yellows. Some violets will over correct and turn purple under artificial light, so the safest bet in the hands of the lightly experienced is a stain with a green cast. Walnut stains usually have a significant green pigment to them.
    ...See More
  • aasonalk
    14 years ago

OMG, homebuilder, love your kitchen!!!!

If I may ask, what color are your walls? (& what lighting are you using? CFL/Incandescent, Warm/Cool,Daylight etc?)
    Pls.pls. answer.

-Cathy

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Thank you! Since I am not sure which kitchen you are speaking of, I'll post the colors for both.

Yellow/white kitchen - BM Concord Ivory

Gold/cherry kitchen - BM Decatur Buff

Both kitchens have regular old canned lights (new kitchen uses the GE Reveal bulbs - purple bulb that really puts out the light!) and both have over the island pendant fixtures with white vanity or clear bulbs.

• rocky08
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I feel much better now after seeing pics.

Newhomebuilder: The floors are prefinished with a natural finish. They seem to have more variation in color than yours. Your home is beautiful! I have been admiring it getting ideas for paint colors. I think I read you are located somewhere around Asheville, NC? I am in southwest Virginia.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

We are in the Tri-Cities, TN.

We did reject a few boards that were a little darker and perhaps more rustic. One or two still made it to the floor. Perhaps the flooring you are looking into have more of the "rough cut" planks in them. Perhaps it is made of all rough cuts #2 boards?

• rocky08
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG! I am in Abingdon, VA and have lived in Bristol and Johnson City! Small world! Where did your purchase your flooring? And your cabinets? And your EVERYTHING! haha I just love your house! Picked up swatches of the Decatur Buff today and also Pittsfield Buff. I really love your decorating style and look forward to any ideas or suggestions as I am going to be renovating a late 1970's ranch home.

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

May I hijack for a moment with a question?

Newhomebuilder, what is your granite color? Hubby and I are having a hard time deciding (agreeing). Our cabinets will be very close to your color (cherry) and from a distance--above photos-- your granite is not too light and not too dark (do you have a better kitchen picture?).

Thanks!
    Tracey

• nhb22
    14 years ago

rocky08 - Where did you live in Johnson City?
    We are in JC, but our official address is Jonesborough. We live off Boones Creek Road.

I honestly cannot remember the name of the place the cabinets were ordered through, but they were just starting up business in a "hole in wall" place on the old Kingsport Highway. My builder had used them before. They did a pretty good job, and easy to work with. However, I don't know if they are still in business. The cabinets are KraftMade cherry and the style is Rutherford.

I believe the flooring came from Mountainview Hardwood Flooring and was finished onsite by floor refinishers who again the name escapes me.

Tracey - The granite is New Venetian Gold and is 2 years old. The reason I am telling you this is because my daughter just had NVG granite countertops put in, and they are a bit different. The grain/veins of the granite are slightly longer. I guess you call theirs NEWER Venetian Gold. lol Very pretty!

I have included a couple more photos.

{{!gwi}}

• rocky08
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I lived off Carroll Creek Rd. My cabinets in the house I built(not in JC) were the EXACT doorstyle! Kraftmaid Cherry w/ginger glaze and I had Santa Cecelia granite. I went thru Builder's First Source in Bristol and got a wonderful deal. Regretfully with a divorce we sold that house and I am now on my own purchasing a fixer upper. Can't afford to do the kitchen now, but love looking at pics and getting ideas.

Back to the flooring question, the sample that I have is made of of 5 pieces all different lengths and the colors are very close except for one board. It is very light and looks out of place. I have used this guy before and I know they do a good job, so I assume he would mix up the boxes to look the best. He did mention something about if I was putting it in the closets and I told him yes.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

See the photo with the dog in it? To the left of that rug is a long dark strip that definitely looks out of place to the rest of the flooring. It happens, but the strip bothers me. Luckily, I can position the rug nearby and it takes the eye off the dark.

Will the finished product be boards of bundles in groups of 5, or is the floor laid with single boards?

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

Thanks for the extra pictures! I don't remember seeing the name of NVG in our looking through the granite the other day--we were overwhelmed, I guess. I do seem to recall something similar. Later, at the kitchen place, we saw Santa Cecilia and liked that it seemed to have more veining than what I thought I'd liked at the granite place--Giallo Ornamental (if I'm thinking of the right piece), but I don't recall Santa Cecilia at the granite place either. Maybe it was in the more expensive aisle, of which we tried to steer clear.

I appreciate the flooring info too, as I'm sure that's our next decision--or will it be the exterior?

Thanks.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Giallo Ornamental was my daughter and SIL's first choice, but it had a little too much yellow for their cabinets, which are golden maple.

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

I had #2 red oak flooring in my last house. It was the original floor and the house was built in 1934. It was not a rustic house and the floor didn't look rustic either. Here is a photo...but the color isn't exactly right due to lighting (see first photo). Newhomebuilder - I love your kitchen, but I love your JRT more! He reminds me so much of my boy Spike (see 2nd photo).

• dekr8
    14 years ago

Newhomebuilder, I have a question about your floors if you don't mind, sorry to hijack... I noticed that your toestrips match your floor, not the baseboard or cabinets in the first photos. We are having floors put in this week & the contractor is telling me we will want the strips matching the baseboards. (Hardwood company is suggesting it to be done how you have it). Just curious what your thoughts are. Thanks!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

If you are having a wide baseboard, go with the stained hardwood toe kick. It's called a kick for a reason...everything bumps up against it. We liked the stained look because it does not show furniture scrapes, scuffs or dirt.

Now, if your baseboard is on the slight side, the painted toe kick may make the baseboard look more substantial.

storklady - Yes, your Spike does look like Riley. :) Has Spike been chewing on your chair?

Here is a photo that I took of my friends Boston, Bitsy.

{{!gwi}}

Sorry to be getting off track, rock08. ;)

• dekr8
    14 years ago

Thanks for the great advice and reply NHB. We actually have the baseboard you have in home #1. I will go with the stained. Beautiful homes & dogs...

Thanks so much for starting this thread rocky, it couldn't have come @ a better time!

• lizziebethtx
    14 years ago

Newhomebuilder...No, he didn't chew on the chair. I bought it "as is" at an auction and want go have it recoverd. I just couldn't pass it up. Spike has never been a chewer, nor has Bucky the boston. Your friend's Bitsy is so cute. Believe it or not, when I was less than 10 years old our neighbor had a Boston named Bitsy! Weird. I LOVE the cane chair he is sitting in.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

The chair is in my friends mountain home. I love the chair and the rug.

Do you know anything about cane furniture? I currently have my eye on a cane chair on CL. I posted about it on the Antique forum, but have not had much of a response except from Lindac. I posted the link at the bottom if you are interested, or know anything about cane.

rocky08 - What did you decide?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cane chair

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I have #2 red oak & love it!! THere are scratches all over it when you get on your hands and knees to clean (not often at all!!) but you can't see them standing up. The variations & knots disguise the mischief but let's face it....it's a floor, it's gonna get banged up and beat up.

>

The first photo I found was this one....it's got a dog in it, too (what cuties the ones are in the above pics!). My Ds was wishing him a happy bday with a candle.

SMiles:)

• nhb22
    14 years ago

That's sweet! Shih Tzu, Lapso or something else?

Love your floor stain, too!