SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Winemaking questions for tomatobob and/or gardengrl

dgkritch
14 years ago

Hey! It's cooking related.......I might cook with it IF I can turn it into wine!! LOL

We can also take it off line, just trying to make contact.

The winemaking forum is pretty slow moving!

I read in the Introduction thread that both of you make wine and I need HELP!!

Any other winemakers feel free to jump in here too!

My fermentation seems "stuck", but I'm not sure.

I am making wine, for the first time, from Concord grapes. I know, not the ideal grape, but they were free!

Everything seemed to be going according to plan/directions up to the first (?) racking.

Primary had great bubbling/foaming.

Put into secondary and topped off 6 gallon carboy with about 1 cup of syrup to bring the level to the neck.

Had great bubbling through the airlock.

My instructions said to rack after one week. We did.

Topped off with plain water (boiled and cooled).

Bubbling seems to have stopped.

I haven't done anything else. The wine (hopefully) is still sitting in the 2nd carboy. For 2 weeks now I haven't seen a bubble one.

Is it all over? Is it OK? Do I need to do something?

You can email me through the "My Page" link too!

Thank you!

Deanna (hoping I don't have 6 gallons of marginal vinegar)

Comments (16)

• fedup321
    14 years ago

Deanna, Did you have a Hydrometer to test the wines Specific gravity at the beginning? Did you use any wine yeast?

and your grapes (concord) is my favorite to use for a good tasting wine.

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

Deanna, I was gonna ask the same thing, do you know what your specific gravity is? If it's less than .990 or so, then it's wine! Have you tasted it? Young wine tastes awful, but you'll know if it's bad or not right away. Bad wine will usually taste and smell very sour/spoiled.

From what you've explained so far, everything sounds fine.

Also, depending on where you are (part of the country) and where the must is kept, warmer temps will make fermentation go faster. I'm in Florida, so my primary fermentations usually last less than a week! The longest primary ferment I've had was 2 weeks, and that was from a Merlot kit. Folks that I know up north have had primary ferms go for 3-4 weeks!

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I have a hydrometer.
    Starting gravity was 1.10 (in the primary fermenter)
    Measured about 1.5 weeks into the secondary and was at 0.99
    almost off the scale.

What does that mean?
    It's done? In 3 weeks?
    Temps have been between 65 and 75 (my dining table).

Do I need to rack again? There's about 1/2" or so of sediment on the bottom.

Yes, I used 2 packages of wine yeast (recommended by my local fermenter store).

This is a 6 gallon recipe.
    I started with about 30+ pounds of cleaned grapes.
    10 lbs. of sugar.
    Yeast, yeast nutrient, etc. per the recipe.

Thanks for trying to help!! I've fermented saurkraut and pickles, but wine is new for me!!!

Deanna

• fedup321
    14 years ago

Deanna, that reading means the wine is done ferementing. Racking now with only a little settlement on the bottom is un-neassary right now. I always let the wine clear more and then rack. The more wine you get rid of during racking means you either have to top off the carboy which means you have to add water or a finished wine to keep the liquid about 2 inches below the airlock stopper,The less air in the carboy keeps the wine from going bad.

Below is a link for Jack Kellers website. From there you can navigate to read futher info on wine making. If you need to sweeten the wine more to your taste, Just ask again. I or someone will help you...GOOD LUCK

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack Keller

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

Deanna, sounds like you're right on track! I agree, no need to rack off those lees right now as it's only been 2 weeks since you last racked.

Let it age a little, then rack off the lees. When you're ready and you feel that it's drinkable, be sure to stabalize (add potassium sorbate) and a little kmeta (potassium metabisulphite) to help keep it from refermenting and to help preserve the wine.

Are you going to bottle? Can't wait to hear how this comes out for you; wine making is so much fun and exciting?

If you need some guidance, check out the WinePress forum....this is where I go when I need wine help:

Here is a link that might be useful: WinePress forum

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you both!!!
    I feel like a nervous new mother!!

It just seems like it happened so fast. I expected more 'action' in the airlock for a longer time I guess.

Do you think it would be OK to put it in a back room now where it's cooler? Temp is probably closer to 50-55 than the 65-75 in my dining room.

I....ummm....kind of need my table next week!

I'll be checking out both of the sites posted. I have been to Jack Keller's site, but it's just not the same as here, where it feels like talking to friends and people actually answer regularly! ;-)

Deanna

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

This is something Ive wanted to try for years! I keep saying im gonna and never get to it im gonna have to do some research! Anyone with Winemaking 101 tips welcome TIA

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Deanna:
    I don't make any now but we never did all the technical things.
    Made about 8 barrels a year at my uncles.
    We used 8 boxes of Zinfindel and 3 boxes of Muscatel, for a barrel.(Made a great sparkling clear wine ).
    Just crushed and put them into the Barrel.
    Don't know if he added any thing else.
    Did this in early fall , then after they fermented, we squeezed the grapes,into barrels.
    By Christmas the new wine was almost ready but always used last years.
    Sometimes my uncle would put the squeezed grapes in a barrel with water and make a watered wine.
    It was pronunced " Aquade " don't know the right spelling.
    I never helped him with that.
    Lou

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

Deanna, you're fine with moving the carboy. It will need time to resettle anyway.

Have you added any kmeta to it yet? Wines made with crushed fruit need a little more protection from spoilage as there are all kinds of bacteria & microorganisms on the skins. Just a small pinch will do & stir it in (or a crushed Camden tablet). Let the lees resettle and rack off again in about a month.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

May "recipe" had me add the Camden tablets either right before or with the yeast (is this the one that you have to wait 24 hours or it kills the good yeast?).
    I'm still learning all the chemical names.

But, yes, it's in there!!

Are you saying that it should have a little more added now?
    Or is the initial amount what you are referring to?

aaaaahhhhh!! Confused again.........!!
    It's amazing how easily that happens! LOL
    I think the hard part for me is that lots of people make wine. They all have their own little tips, tricks, process.
    And here I am looking for RULES in black and white!
    It's kind of like trying to tell someone how to make "A COOKIE". What kind? Crisp or Chewy? Ingredients? They vary, they're all acceptable. But hard to explain all the options. I think.

Deanna (very glad it's Friday! 3 more hours and I'm outta here!)

• tomatobob_va7
    14 years ago

Hello, Deanna. I was surprised to see my handle in your title. You certainly got lots of quick feedback from knowledgeable folk. I have very little to add to what you've already been told:
    1] I like to leave the wine in the carboy for a month, after racking one more time. Reason: wine matures sooner in a large quantity than in small bottles.
    2] if your liquid level is a bit low, you can top it off with a bit of any similar wine instead of water.
    3] to taste the wine without disturbing it, stick a plastic drinking straw into the wine, put your finger over the top hole, lift out the straw and release into a nearby glass.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks tomatobob.
    I like the idea of topping off with another wine.
    Any store-bought wine (red or blush types) would work???
    Love the idea of the straw, I hadn't thought of that one!

I used my (sterilized) baster to get enough out for the hydrometer, but it was still a little messy!!

Deanna (leaving the wine alone until the weekend after Thanksgiving....or the next. Then I'll rack and let 'er sit)!

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

I'll chime in two cents worth. It may not be warm enough. The sulfide tables will kill yeast. It sounds to me like you have things very complicated.

I make lots of drinking wine... mostly from apple juice. I have made fancy wines by squeezing the grapes by hand (lotta work). For the most part I keep it very simple. Juice, some acid blend, sugar, and yeast. No pectic enzyme, no tannins, no sulfides, and no racking! All that stuff can be done but is not totally necessary. The alcohol does a fair job of preservation. Store away from sunlight. Keep it airtight always... unless you want vinegar.

Fine to play. A whole science to making wine just so. Very important to commercial wines that they taste the same everytime. Homemade wine... who cares? As you get deeper into the hobby of winemaking there will always be new things to explore. To start with simple uncomplicated wines will give you lots to drink.

Mixing with water is an excellent wine drink!... adult koolaid. Great for hot days when you want to chug a big glass without getting drunk.

I've had oxidation ruin a couple batches of beer but never had a batch of wine that was not drinkable. Most are excellent and I prefer them sulfide free at drinking time... sulfides "pickle" my tummy.

• lindac
    14 years ago

Sounds like you all are becoming sophisticated wine makers.
    I remember years ago when people would make that awful grape balloon wine....and then proudly present you with a bottle!
    It's been said that some things are so basic and natural they they make themselves....wine is one, bread another and cheese.
    Linda C

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lyra, that whole "air tight always" thing is part of why I'm so nervous!! I tried a batch of dandelion wine this summer in a gallon jar (no air lock, no added yeast) and it ended up NASTY! Acetic acid took over and I ended up with grassy vinegar.

So...I decided to find out why. My local Home Fermenter Center (that's actually the company name) said it was the air.
    I bought a wine making book with basic process and lots of recipes. It's that book that has the instructions for racking so often, but the feedback from everyone says "don't worry about it". Since I DID start with fresh grapes, I have more lees I think than with juice. You're right, Lotta work squishing those babies by hand!

I'm now using "proper" equipment (carboys, airlocks, hydrometer, Campden tablets, yeast, etc.).

LindaC: I know it's supposed to be easy and I'm complicating it!! LOL We could add fermented pickles and saurkraut to those things that "make themselves" I suppose! And I've done those!
    My friend made some last year from these same grapes (well not THESE grapes, but from her vine). DH and I helped with the cleaning of the grapes and some of the labor and we split the finished wine. Tastes like Concord grape skins....still.
    She bottled it in Feb. or March of this year. The first bottle we opened was nearly undrinkable! Another bottle opened a couple of months ago was better, but still pretty heavy on the tannins. I'm waiting awhile to try again, hoping it will mellow some more.
    I want to avoid that if I can this time around. I will stabilize and sweeten before bottling.

Sure is fun though and I really, really appreciate all the responses. I didn't realize so many of you had made wine!

Deanna

• gardengrl
    14 years ago

Deanna, you're doing fine and it sounds like you're on the right track. I just wanted to make sure you had a little bit of sulfites in there to help preserve the wine for bulk aging.

Is the book you're reading "The Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry Garey? That's the first book I bought to help me learn and she makes it WONDERFULLY easy, plus she has a great sense of humor and writing style.

After a while, you'll "know" what to do when it comes to making wine....what feels right and what doesn't. I've prob made about 2 dozen batches in the past two years and I'm proud to say I've never ruined any and they all came out tasting fantastic. Every batch gets better!

Oh, and yes do top off your wines with another wine in a similar style. I don't like topping off with water because I don't want to dilute the wine I'm making. Another thought is to use clean, clear glass marbles in your carboy to "display" the wine so there's not as much airspace in your carboy. Just be sure to not dump the dregs of your carboy down the garbage disposal like I did one time and forgot the marbles were in the bottom!!! Use these marbles ONLY for winemaking and keep them in a clean mesh bags when not in use.

After a while, you'll even come up with your own recipes....careful, it's as addicting as canning and preserving. SOOOO many possibilities! Last year, I made a Lemon Grass Mint wine that was incredible!

The biggest bit of advice that I can give you is this: Don't EVER make a one gallon batch of wine again! There's a good chance that you'll make a REALLY good wine and wish that you had more than 5 bottles (one gallon makes 5 bottles) to drink or give away. No batch is ever the same as the next, even if you follow the exact recipe.

Here's a sample from last year:

Also, if you want to have a little fun that's EASY....check out my blog and the instructions I posted on making a Spiced Orange Meade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Meade Making 101

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath