SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
qwibbled

First rough kitchen plan

qwibbled
14 years ago

This is my first time designing a kitchen so I could use some help! This is a rough plan done in Chief Architect, we will be using ikea cabinets so I made sure to keep everything in their standard widths (15", 18", 21", 24", 30", 36"). I don't know what will be drawers or cabinet doors, there will be some shelving for books, haven't figured that all out yet. The finishings in the 3D views are just the program defaults, none of that has been decided either, just working on the major things right now. The counter where the stove is and the wrap around to the stools is 36" deep. One of our concerns are that we don't have a standard floor to ceiling panty cupboard in the kitchen, however if you look at the plan we have a door in the kitchen that leads to a pantry/laundry room. On the left we could fit a 4' long, 18" deep storage shelving with two more wall cabinets above the deep freezer and laundry baskets. So in theory we could put all our rarely used items in there freeing up a good chunk of the wall cabinets for our most used food items.

Our other concern is not having a desk/office area in or near the kitchen but the counter beside the fridge could be the pen, paper, phone, permanent laptop resting, semi-office area but I figure we'd would most likely end up using the laptop the most on the stools. Where could we put the power outlet so there isn't a cord dangling all over the counter? The appliance on the left of the stove is an extra fridge. Everyone I know runs out of room in their fridge so I figure it could be a cheap way to get some extra space for extra milk, juice, etc.. and could be substituted for a wine cooler later on. The area with the three stools is 6' long, is that enough space for three?

I've always had cramped kitchen so we made this one fairly roomy so two people could move about without constantly getting in each others way, each square in the plan is a square foot. Is the inner space too large? We're also left with a very long (12') counter facing the dining table. Because the counter is 36" deep along here, we would have 12" on the backside for fine dish storage, shelving, etc.. but 12' long seems like a lot of space to fill?

If you have any suggestions or see any other issues please let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!