SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg711_gw

(Long) What's the right sequence for decorating an outside area?

meg711
16 years ago

Sorry to be posting so many questions lately but I have a fire under my feet (and an impatient DH) to get things done.

I'm working on getting things for our outdoor deck. We've ordered the furniture for a sitting area, but we put off picking out the fabric for the cushions. And now I have to pick out a "basic" Sunbrella fabric for our outdoor cushions.

I'm working around the dark brown deck, the tan paint, and the slate tiles on the fireplace surround which I don't think should be ignored:

I was hoping to pick out the outdoor rug first, trying to play up the colors in the slate tiles. Either terracotta, or dark brown--or blue which isn't there but I love. There's sort of a slate blue in the tiles. (The nearby family room and eating area are blues and browns so it will go with the color flow.)

After I pick the rug, then I was going to find a patterned fabric that would go with the rug and the slate tiles. This patterned fabric would be for the kidney pillows or whatever they're called. Only then would I pick out the more basic fabric. My reasoning is that the outdoor rugs and patterned outdoor fabrics are more limited, while there's a whole array of colors for the basic fabrics.

I've been accused of doing this backwards. But my fear is that if I pick the basic fabric first, and then find a patterned fabric that I love, they might clash. And the same with picking out an outdoor rug.

Am I doing it backwards? Does anyone have any better way to do this so that I won't later regret any decisions?

Comments (12)