SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stiles_gw

To Corbel or not to Corbel -Pics

stiles
16 years ago

Well, we are down to our last few items and choices. I originally designed a hood that was going to have stucco and wood with wood corbels. I changed the hood to copper and now I am not sure if I should cover the corbels with copper sheeting or have no corbels.

I have mocked up some pics with the corbels. There is a 6", 4" and a short 4" corbel. I would love to hear your opinions. Do I need corbels? If so, which size? Thanks!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Melinda

Comments (31)

• plllog
    16 years ago

I like the frame and proportions of the first picture. Not so much for the hood (great hood!) but for the backsplash. It also adds importance to the range.

BUT, that's only from face on. Corbels have depth and from any angle it might look very different.

Order of preference as shown: 1, 3, 4, 2.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Melinda,
    That's one gorgeous copper hood!
    Can you please tell me your ceiling height, and the hood heighth & width.
    Do you have other copper (i.e., sink) or is the hood the only copper you have? Would love to see more pics.

To answer your question ... I think I almost like it better w/o the corbels. Somehow I have a hard time adjusting to copper covered corbels, but maybe if I saw them in real life I'd feel different. I agree with plllog, though, that #1 frames the backsplash nicely. Its difficult to tell, but do you have the rest of the backsplash installed?

• Related Discussions

Would you use corbels below 15” eat in kitchen bar?

Q

Comments (2)
    I'd let 1" square tube, steel or aluminum, into the wall and the cabinet backs and screw the square tube to the back of the cabinet fronts. And I'd use at least 6, not 3, for a span that long. Shim to level and flat please. Cap the exposed tube ends and paint the exposed flat black. You can't screw steel-on-the-flat, no matter how thick, to the pony wall plate and think it's going to do any work without tying the wall plate into the studs with structural connectors. I don't care what the bracket manufacturers say. When they've fixed as many of these as I have, they can talk to me. Have your fabricator use the cantilever as a bench for his crew for lunch. If he's unwilling, it ain't right.
    ...See More

Are corbels still used anymore to support granite/quartz?

Q

Comments (1)
    Some still use them, but there is hardly ever a reason to not use square tube steel or other more inconspicuous supports. Better support and no knocked knees. If your fabricator won't walk his crew over the supports, they are inadequate. Tops are just veneer.
    ...See More

How to tell if corbel is load bearing

Q

Comments (1)
    I think your hood is firmly attached to the wall. IMO the corbels are decorative.
    ...See More

what color to paint corbels/open gable/front door?

Q

Comments (15)
    Please, Please remove the shutters from that upper window its killing me lol. You can tell they are too small bc they would never cover the window if they where closed. You could keep them on the front window if you like, but consider a little larger. I like the brown color the wood is now it adds some contrast. and the door I would be into a blue green color, so it doesnt get lost in the shadows. ( I removed the upper shutters, increased your garage light size and shutter size and removed the small little handle deals from the garage door. I will add as my final note, the landscaping.. im assuming the builder did that?
    ...See More
  • rosalita
    16 years ago

I like it without corbels. W/out , it really draws the eye only to the hood which is magnificent.

• elljays
    16 years ago

I like the third picture best. What a beautiful hood!

• holligator
    16 years ago

Gorgeous hood! I like it best with no corbels.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Gorgeous hood!

IMO, architectural details like corbels should have a purpose, or at least, an ostensible purpose -- like holding up a heavy mantle or heavy wood & stucco hood. But since you've switched to a light-weight copper hood, the ostensible purpose is gone, and IMO, having corbels there would just look wrong.

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

i agree with sweeby, and for the same reason. beautiful hood!! kren

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your responses. Napgirl, my ceilings are 10' and the ht of hood is 2 1/2' width is 4'. My fixtures are bronze/copper and my hardware too. My backsplash is complete as it is. Does it look incomplete?

Sweeby and others, I think I agree with you about the necessity of the corbels. They would just be an unusual, interesting detail-but not sure if too unusual!

I am getting quotes on the sheeting so that will also help me determine whether to do them. Anymore thoughts are appreciated!

Melinda

• luvnola
    16 years ago

Another vote for without. That magnificent hood should be your focal point. It's STUNNING!

• kelleg69
    16 years ago

I think I would vote for no corbels.

I would love to see more pix of your kitchen. It looks great! I am going to build a house with 10 foot ceilings. Do your cabinets go to 9 feet and then you have a coffered ceiling or what? I wasn't sure how tall the kitchen cabinets would be with a 10 foot ceiling.

Any more kitchen pix?

• Buehl
    16 years ago

I kind of like the look of #1 but, I think as a 2-D frame, not as 3-D corbels. I think the colors bring out and emphasize the hood. If it's 3-D corbels, I would vote for none. But, you might consider some kind of framing against that back wall. (In #4, IMHO, they're too narrow)

• mlraff53
    16 years ago

I say no corbels, it really lets your hood stand out. It's beautiful!

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a few more pics. Kelleg, we added the ceiling trim and the cabinets have a molding that runs into a soffit on each side. The corbel my builder is holding is too large right now. I would make it more flush to the tile and perhaps narrower.

Buehl-when you say framing-do you mean tile work?

Thanks again for your opinions!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• berryberry
    16 years ago

I prefer option #1 w/ corbels. it finishes and pulls everything together

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Photo's 2 or 3 look good. I prefer the shorter corbels.

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention the stone for my island is coming tomorrow! The first stone came cracked! It will be a lavastone blue/grey color.

Mel

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Stiles,
    Thanks for giving the measurements on your hood and ceiling. Love the dark floor with the hood - what wood is it?

No, I don't think your backsplash looks unfinished ... I just couldn't see it very well bec the pics are so small. Any chance of getting larger pic of the hood, from an angle?

What is the width of your liner? I ask bec in the closeup pic it looks like the corbel he's holding might be inside the hood liner.

• jayav
    16 years ago

Gorgeous hood. I prefer the look without the corbels.

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Napagirl, the wood is rift-sawn oak with a stain on top. My hood liner is a vent-a-hood and not sure how big-it doesn't interfere with the corbel. I think we would just butt the corbel right to the hood. But, seems like the overwhelming vote is no corbel.

Melinda

• mary_in_nc
    16 years ago

Another vote for no corbels.

• cbreeze
    16 years ago

Stiles, I am also doing a new kitchen with 10 ft. ceiling. Can you give me the height of your cabinet and the height between the bottom of the upper cabinet and your counter top? I'd love to see more pictures especially the columns you have beyond the kitchen. Beautiful kitchen.
    I also vote for no corbels.

• napagirl
    16 years ago

I'm not familar with rift-sawn oak (flooring), although I have heard of it. How does it differ from quarter-sawn?

Your copper hood is soooo beauuuuuuutiful!! ((((sigh)))

• kaseki
    16 years ago

The corbel example looks like laminated wood in the photo. If so, it may be too close to the gas burners for safety. The stove manufacturer's installation literature should be checked to assure compliance. Also, it will be harder to clean than the tile behind it.

But I would vote no corbels, unless (possibly) a more airy design in copper were used.

kas

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cbreeze-thanks for the vote. My cabinets are 42" high and the space is 18" from the counter to bottom of cab. I also have 4" crown molding at top and my cabs run into a soffit that is 6" tall-then ceiling.

Napagirl-I think rift-sawn is a little less movement than quarter-sawn but I am not entirely sure. They may be the same thing! I am happy to say we are not going to do corbels!

My kitchen became complete yesterday, so I am compiling pics to share.

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Cbreeze-I just realized(after asking dh) that our ceilings are only 9 feet high. Details, details...

Melinda

• napagirl
    16 years ago

CORRECTION .... Ceiling Height is 9', not 10'

Glad to know your ceilings are only 9' (and closer to my 8').
    Since you already said your hood was 2-1/2' high x 4' wide, that must mean you have about 3-1/2' (42") between the stovetop and hood. Does that sound right?

Guess what I'm trying to ask is, what's the measurement of your hood and the distance between stovetop & hood?
    I've got a case of serious hood envy and would like to know where you found it.
    Was it made locally or did you order it online? Is the surface smooth or hammered? Where can I find one like it???

I anxiously await your finished pictures!!

• napagirl
    16 years ago

bump ... I see you just posted your finished pics! Fabulous!
    Please don't forget to come back and answer my questions ...

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Napagirl

I think I answered your question in the other blog-but just in case you didn't see it. THe answer to the amt of space between countertop and hood is 33". Keep in mind my hood runs into a soffit of about 6". I put a soffit on either side of my kitchen where the bank of cabinets are so there would be a place for the cans(lights). I think if you have 96" to work with, you would have a 36" tall countertop, 32" space between countertop and hood and then the hood can be 28". My hood has some bevelling you don't need to do all of. Make sense?

The hood is smooth and the local sheet metal guys "aged" it with water and perhaps a chemical. I am wondering if I should copper sheet metal the inside of the hood to cover the stainless steel liner. Any thoughts on that?

Let me know if I can answer anymore questions!

Melinda

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Hi Melinda,
    Thanks so much for posting your hood measurements and pointing out there is a 6" soffit above the hood, reducing your ceiling height to 8-1/2'. I didn't see (or realize) that detail from your pics.

I'm trying to imagine how my hood would look, given my 95" ceiling, 36"h range height, min 30" clearance, and 42"w finished hood liner over a 36"w range. Hmmm, leaves me with approx 29" for hood height.

Your hood must be wider though, bec you had room for 6"w corbels on each side ... so is your hood 48"w x 28"h, with a 102" ceiling height? Did you ever take any pics of the framework, before they installed the copper hood? If so, it would be helpful to see those.

Most [metal and stone] hoods I've seen in your shape say they need a 9' ceiling. So I was elated to see how nice yours looks since it looks close to the space I have.

Almost forgot ... you asked about covering the under side of the stainless liner with copper. I know what you mean, it would certainly look nice. But it would probably be harder to clean and still maintain the 'aged' look that you want. Would you do the full 4" height on 3 sides? One positive thing - stainless and copper are compatable metals, so no electrolysis problems!

TIA,
    Sharon

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Napagirl,

I might have pics of the framework. I know I have pics of just the liner before the hood was put on top.

The widest part of the hood is 52" and the part I was going to butt the corbels to is 48" wide. The hood is 30-31" tall. My ceiling does drop to 102" with the soffit.
    So, 48" x 31" is the hood dimensions.

I didn't think about the cleaning aspect of the liner! I think I will leave well-enough alone for now.

M

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Thanks Stiles,
    That would be great if you had pics of the framework & liner. You can email me the pics if thats easier. We're mostly DIY so have no first hand experience how it all goes together.

Thanks for the measurements. Sounds like mine would be very close to the same scale (H x W), just slightly smaller overall. I'm soooo glad I saw your pics - its given me faith that my proportions will also look good.

I know why you wanted to "line your liner" - to eliminate that narrow strip of shiny SS that shows from the front. If its really noticeable by someone standing across from it, could you have a narrow 2" wide copper strip made for just the back wall ... and carefully attached so as not to dimple the copper?