SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Potty Training - Crate vs. With Me

sweeby
15 years ago

Didn't want to hijack the thread about how much time a dog spends in a crate, but this is related.

We have a 4 1/2 month old female labrador puppy, and she's been with us about 6 weeks. The first two weeks, she was crated most of the time except for supervised play episodes and potty trips outside several times a day. We got a small crate for portability, and I kept her with me virtually all the time. She eliminated immediately after eating, which made things easy, and potty training seemed to be going pretty well.

Over the next few weeks, I gradually gave her a little more freedom letting her out of the crate more but keeping her in the room with me. But as her digestive system matured, her potty habits becase less predictable. We are watchful though, so whenever she started sniffing around or went to the door, we immediately opened the door, and she usually went potty. Lots of praise.

But now since she's grown so much, we've had to move up to an adult-lab sized crate which IS NOT easily portable... Which means it stays upstairs in our bedroom, so when she's downstairs, she's not crated.

And she's having occasional accidents (2-4x/week). She's not 'sniff-patrolling' reliably anymore, and will sometimes just calmly walk over to the door and go right in front of it! Meaning she's not even WAITING a minute for us to get there and let her out before she pees -- seriously - no pause at all. She's never unsupervised, so we *always* catch her mid-pee, and do a quick verbal scold before helping her out the door.

But shouldn't she be over this by now? (Our other two puppies were trained within a week.) She doesn't seem very upset by our scolding either...

Anyway - Do you all think she has too much freedom?

Should we crate her more downstairs even though we're always right there and watching?

And are there any other ways to build 'hold it' power?

Comments (12)