SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberley_gw

HELP! Rough-in tomorrow-changed peninsula to island!

amberley
14 years ago

I need so fast advice! I changed my layout yesterday after demo was finished when we discovered that we gained a few inches in my main wall (due to funky framing of the HVAC). this made all the difference in the world to make things fit the way I had originally wanted. Since I am doing IKEA cabinets which I hadn't bought yet, my cabinets are flexible.

So, what was going to be a peninsula, is now an island. My plumbing rough in is tomorrow, and the electricians are here on Saturday. Both should be complete by the end of Saturday so that drywall can begin on Monday. So, I have a couple questions that I need answered.

First, I have a maximum length (including the overhangs) of 87" for the island (this is most I can go with before getting into another slab of soapstone). The depth of the island will be 39". We are doing a Shaws original on a site built base that will have no doors, but a rod with a linen curtain instead.

**How much wood must be on either side of the Shaws to scribe, and frame the sink? I do not want to make this cabinet base any larger than it has to be. I was thinking that 1" on each side would be adequate?

***I am getting a batch disposal. Is there anything with the plumbing that differs from a continuous feed that I would need to be aware of for the rough-in?

**Iif we use a water-stop valve on the sink and/or the DW, do we need to do anything special for the rough-in?

***My dishwasher will be directly to the right of the Shaws. Is there a minimum width of wood that should be between the two? I am hoping that the above mentioned 1" will be sufficient.

***Venting. This is giving me apoplexy. I am assuming that a Studor vent is the only acceptable way to vent the sink. If yes, then what type of space does that type of vent require? Will it fit under the sink? Is it possible to vent another way? I have a column available about 5 feet away.

***I think I may have to have an outlet within 24" of each side of the sink. Does any one have any clever solutions that take up very little space for outlets in an island?

Thanks!!!

Amy

Comments (3)