SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

how to find a good porcelain appraiser?

mahatmacat1
16 years ago

So we're at Goodwill tonight, and I found a *perfectly beautiful* handmade porcelain bowl that just gets more amazing as I look at it. It's not immediately my style, but I just *love* it--it's all white, extremely fine wavy edges, with lotus leaves, buds, blossoms, and one seedpod all on bumpy/thorny stems coming up around into the the folds of the edges. All hand made. Not a leaf broken off. Very fine lines. NO mark, though, except maybe something very blurry if you hold it in the light in the right way...but none of us can make it out. I tried googling "lotus bowl" but nothing came up exactly like it--the closest thing was something from a British auction gallery, but it had gilt on it, etc.--this is all white. SUCH detail, and no one lotus adornment is the same. , and it's a 5 point symmetry rather than a 6..

I'm really wondering where this is from--I just wanted it--it has a great vibe, such care taken in the creation of it--I've got it on our Crate & Barrel "parsons" dining table, of all things, and it looks *perfect* on it--the clean lines of the table play off the curves of the bowl, and the frosted glass tabletop looks like water and the bowl on it looks like lotuses peeking up out of the ripples. But I want to know where it came from, if that's possible.

I've never had anything like this appraised before--only some art back on the east coast, and I went to the local university art department for that. But I have no idea whom to contact about this--is there an online appraiser who is dependable/expert? My town seems a bit too small for a really good porcelain appraiser--should I aim for Seattle? Anyone know anyone in Seattle? Where should I start?

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (14)