SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdt78

Growth on Dog's Padding

mdt78
15 years ago

I have a Siberian Husky that is going on 7 years old in a couple of months. Back about a year ago I took him to the vet because he wasn't walking on his hind leg, after examining him, they found that his paw was swollen like he had gotten stung by something. They cleaned it all out, put him on antibiotics and he did fine.

Then a few months later the padding on the same paw looked as though he had sliced it open on something. We cleaned it and took care of it but it healed kinda funny...almost like the pad had scar tissue. He never favored it or anything.

A couple of months later we took him in for his yearly check up and I asked the vet about it. He said it was just how the pad grew back so he trimmed it back and kinda filed it down a little. Then six weeks later we found what looked like a nail growing out of the padding of his paw. I called the vet and they said that was impossible so I brought him and and they couldn't believe it. He had never seen this before and called one of the universities and they had never seen it but had read an article about it. Again he trimmed it and within 4 weeks it has grown back and is longer than before. He is beginning to show signs that it is bothering him now.

My vet said that it's not a nail but more like a horn like substance with live tissue inside it (almost like a cuticle in a nail). He wants to remove it but I am uncomfortable with doing that without knowing anything about it or being sure how to treat it once it is removed. He also said that he can't guarantee it won't grow back.

I read another post that had pics of corns on Greyhounds and it looks alot like that but long with a pink center (like a nail). It looks like it might even just pop out, like it is only attached at the bottom.

I have read other posts and seen others criticize people saying you need to take them to the vet...well I already have taken him to the vet 3 times so I don't need that kind of advice..what I am looking for is anyone else that might know anything more about this and can advise me on what to do or some one I might be able to talk to about the treatment.

I know this is long but I wanted everyone to know the history of it. I really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Comments (4)