SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

Cat Territory Marking - Suggestions?

estreya
16 years ago

Good morning, pet lovers ...

Well, i'm composing this post with a sense of deflation and desperation. A bit of history:

In 1992, hubby and i brought home a one year old cat from the "quarantine" area of the shelter. Everything that could be wrong with her WAS wrong with her. A few veterinary bills later, all was well with the world ...

Due to job transfers, we relocated every three or four years. She seemed to make the transitions every time without too terribly much anxiety.

Advance time to about three years ago. Hubby and i moved into our humble "dream home," where we intend to spend the rest of our lives, lives which may have actually been cut short due to the frustrations this cat has been putting us through (ok, that was a little melodramatic, but you get the point).

Although the home is a new build with no prior animal residue in it, the two front rooms have very low windows in them. Hence, she sees everything that goes on outside, including visitations from birds, deer, and two feral cats who used to taunt her from the other side of the glass. Even though she's a fixed female cat, she took to urinating in those two front room corners as a means of territory marking (yea, i didn't know neutered girl cats sprayed either but they do).

So once we realized what was going on, we began to try everything. But by that time, i think it might have become not necessarily habit (she doesn't do it every day), but something she just does as a means of controlling her environment (the feral cats are gone i believe). Finally i just sort of resigned myself to it, figuring i would manage the odor issue (which i'm doing fairly effectively), and once she passes (she's about 16 years old), we'll get the carpets and the damaged molding ripped out and install the hardwood floors i realized i want in those rooms. It would probably take us the rest of her life span to save enough to have that work done anyway ...

This morning, she added a little twist to the mix. Not only was there spray, but a bundle of poop as well.

This may be more than i can endure. I feel utterly at wits end.

Now her litter box is in the garage, and she has to go through a little door to get to it. But she's obviously comfortable doing that, because her food is out there (she's eating) and the litter box IS getting used (she leaves plenty to scoop). So i'm left to conclude she's also using the two front rooms because she hates us. Even though we lavish her (being extra solicitous so as not to contribute to her anxieties), she clearly hates us to be putting us through this.

The only thing i haven't tried is tranquilizers. Is that really my only recourse at this point?

For those of you who have read this far ... i thank you.

O.K., i feel better now. Time to get out the wet vac and deal with it, yet again ...

Comments (22)