SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mytdog

Heartworms - how did my dog get infected on preventative?

mytdog
14 years ago

I adopted a stray dog from the animal shelter. Exact age was unclear but the estimated about 6-8 months old. We have had her a little over a year. The shelter did a heartworm test in Dec 08 before we took her home. She was negative. We went to the vet about 1 week later and she was started on Interceptor pills. She has been given one each month (about 4-6 weeks apart, mostly 4 weeks a part, but maybe a few 5 weeks or 6 weeks). We have used 14 doses from dec 6 08 to now 1/22/10 so it was pretty much on time.

I took her back to the vet monday 1/19/10 and she test positive for heartworms! The vet told me that this test said she had an adult heartworm, it could only be 1 heartworm but she had at least one. Now what to do? I've been treating her for 1 year and read in this forum that if I keep treating her (with Interceptor) for like 2 years, the adult(s) would die. Other places say they can live for 7 years. I really don't want to go the whole keep her quiet for a month. I have very active kids and she is an extremely active and happy dog. It would be impossible to keep her quiet. She loves to run and will run in the house if she can't run outside.

So how did this happen? The vet tell me it was impossible and I must have missed a dose. But I didn't. Is it possible that Interceptor isn't working for my dog and I should switch to another brand? Please help.

Comments (18)