SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

Is it okay for cats to feel "off" after vaccines?

quasifish
11 years ago

It's almost time for our 3.5 yo male cat to get his three year vaccines, and this is nagging me a bit, so wanted to get some feedback from some of you...

After each of his past vaccinations (rabies in particular), he has been "off" for 20-22 hours afterward. He just wants to sleep, prefers not to be touched, doesn't seem to be running a fever, and then at the 20-22 hour mark, it is like someone throws a switch and he seems back to normal, eating like a horse, being lovey, playing, etc.

I've read conflicting information about whether this is okay or not- some reports are that this is not uncommon and as long as the cat seems okay in 24 hours, it is fine, and other information indicates that they should have no reaction. In my mind it is introducing a foreign substance that the immune system is forced to deal with, so it makes sense if he is not himself for a short time following them.

The plan right now is to take him in for an exam and vaccines early in the day and week (a week or two from now), so we can watch him more closely throughout the day. I'll run this by the vet as well, but I'm trying to get some ideas as to how abnormal this may or may not be. FWIW he is a very high strung cat, you cannot hold him in your arms and set one foot out the back door without him freaking out, so it is also very, very stressful for him to make such a big trip in the car to a strange place that smells of strange animals- but who knows how much of a role that plays in his behavior for the following day.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments (6)