SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wingo_43

Shelf life for latex?

wingo_43
17 years ago

Here's a question for all you 'paint veterans':

How long will paint last in a sealed can? I'm in the process of repainting the exterior of my home. Had purchased a 5-gallon bucket of Duron Weathershield acrylic for this. I had used this same exact paint (and color) on my utility shed when it was built about 7 years ago. Going through my garage today, I found 2 gallons of it that had never been opened or used. So the last time this paint saw the light of day was when they finished mixing it at Home Depot 7 years ago!

I opened a can and it looked like gray jello with water on top ( I think the color is called 'Comet Gray'), but a few minutes with a cordless drill and a Hurricane mixer brought it back to life. A few test areas on my lap siding shows no problems. And the old paint color matches the new exactly. Just wondering if I would be inviting disaster mixing the old with the new.

What I've found on the internet says latex paint will last anywhere from 3 to 4 years to over 20 in a sealed can. Mine was kept on a shelf close to the water heater...but not so close to be a fire hazard..so it was never exposed to freezing temps, which from what I understand is certain death for latex paint.

Your thoughts?

Comments (4)