SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nccmama_gw

stone for fireplace?

nccmama
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have mentioned in other posts that I'm having a friend of the family come stay with me for a couple of weeks to do some home improvements. He's a carpenter by trade, but he is an all around handy guy, so I'm looking over my house to see what other projects I might have for him. ;) I'm thinking that I might like to change out my fireplace from tile to stone. The tile is from the previous owners, and, while okay, it just doesn't do much for me. But, just outside the window to the left of the fireplace is a patio that we did in Oklahoma flagstone. So, I'm thinking that it might be nice to bring the garden inside and incorporate stone into the family room decor. Can you put flagstone on a fireplace? Or, would it be better to use some sort of stone veneer? I also plan to eliminate the drywall area below the mantle by expanding the white painted molding down to meet the stone, tile, or whatever material we use.

I'm going to try to post a picture so that this all makes sense. I hope it works!

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (22)