SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin7500_gw

please help with a question about euthanizing a dog

robin7500
14 years ago

my dog was put to sleep yesterday and i am upset with how the vet chose to do the procedure. she was a very sick with pyometra and she was an older dog so the decision to put her to sleep was difficult but it was the right thing for her. but when the vet was getting everything ready i asked him if he was going to sedate her first and he said no that he was just going to give her the medicine that stops her heart. i asked why and his answer was that it would make it harder to find the vessels. it makes me very upset but when he injected her i know that she suffered greatly. this is my first dog that i have had to do this with and i believe that it could have been made a little easier if she was sedated. can anyone help enlighten me with the hope that this is normal to euthanize this way or would there be some other reason why a vet would choose to not sedate my beautiful dog. my husband felt that he was trying to save money but i would have paid double the cost if it meant making her comfortable. thank you for any help you provide.

Comments (66)