SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Could I give this cat a better life?

newhomeseeker
14 years ago

I have four cats of my own and am fostering five others. I keep three of the fosters at my house and two at a friend's house and I go there and feed them and clean up after them and visit once a day. All of my fosters are VERY friendly and outgoing and sweet. Three are six months old (litermates) one is 9 months old and a big baby boy, and the other is estimated at 6 years old (the mother of the younger kittens). I don't think they will have a problem getting adopted. My four cats have adjusted very well to having youngsters terrorizing the house. My biggest "kitten" who is just over a year and a half old now loves the "babies" and she can chase them and they are ready to play all the time. THe rest of my cats are six and seven years old so they only play once in awhile.

I am volunteering at a local shelter. They house up to 160 cats at one time. They are no-kill in the sense that they will never put down any of the cats that live at the shelter. They have a permenant home there if they are not adopted. They do euthanize drop off cats if they do not have enough room or foster homes for them. Anyway, there is a cat there that I have fallen for. I have such a soft spot for her even though she is not nearly as sweet or friendly as any of the cats I currently have. She has been there the 2nd longest of any cat there. She was brought to the shelter (out of a foster home) in early 2008, so in a few months she will have been at the shelter for 2 years. She is a pretty cat but her personality is that of a cranky old man.

She does not want to be looked at, touched or spoken to unless it is on HER terms. She has scratched me so badly it has shredded a rubber glove I was wearing and all I tried to do was pet her. Several times people have seen her on the shelter's web site and came to possibly adopt her and she has attacked them (either nipped them or scratched them) and of course they were no longer interested. She is not a lap cat, she grumbles if you pick her up, and if you invade her space she will give you a warning meow and then attack you (scratch you). She also does not like being crowded by other cats and will attack them if they get too close to her.

I know she doesn't sound very pleasant but I feel so bad for her because I have a hunch it is the stress of being at the shelter that is causing her bad attitude. I was told she was a sweetheart in foster care and would make a great pet in a quiet household where she would be an only cat. So she would probably do best in a house with an elderly owner who just wanted a pretty cat to look at and not sit on anyone's lap. I obviously can't offer her that.

However, I have seen signs that she is a sweet cat if she wants to be. She has often let me pet her for up to five minutes, she sat on my lap for about ten minutes (after i put her there) and I was told she's never let anyone do that before. SHe even purred the entire time I was petting her. She doesn't get much attention at the shelter because most of the volunteers ignore her because of her bad attitude. And most of the potential adopters pay attention to the cats that flock to them when they enter the room. This cat just hides in a corner and glares at you.

She does love when I bring her treats, or a toy, and she loves to drink out of the faucet (we aren't supposed to let them but I sneak her a drink every once in awhile and she plays like a kitten in the water).

At my home, she would be able to sleep in the sun and look outside and watch birds (can't do this at the shelter as they are just in rooms loose and can sleep on ledges but can't see outside (at least in the room she is in they can not). She wouldn't have to put up with new cats invading her space every week (they put the new cats in the room with the old ones and they all have to adjust) I think the environment is stressful for her and she doesn't have much to look forward to.

At my house she would be able to drink out of the faucet whenever she wanted and she'd have a variety of toys and different food. She may hate my other cats but my house is big enough that she could just stay in another room by herself if she chose too. I know she'd never be a lap cat or even one that is very affectionate and of my four permenant cats I only have ONE lap cat. Two others will sit on your lap once in a blue moon and my year and a half old has NEVER sat on anyone's lap and would consider it a crime to do so. She is affectionate in other ways but if you put her on your lap she will yowl and grumble and scramble to get down.

I am thinking that after some of my fosters have found homes I may adopt the shelter cat that I'm so fond of. There are a lot of other cats there I'd rather adopt based on their great personalities but my heart belongs to this one just because I want to give her a better life and I don't think she will ever get adopted based on her current attitude. Do you think I should give her a chance or just hope someone else adopts her?

Comments (24)