SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sigh_gw

need help from the English muffin makers...

sigh
16 years ago

OK, so for the second time I've attempted to make English Muffins using the no knead bread recipe, only to end up with the same result- cooked beautifully on the outside, raw dough on the inside.

The first time i thought that I had the heat set too low on the griddle as it took close to an hour (yech) for the muffins to get toasty on both sides. So this time I set the griddle temp higher & while the outsides browned quicker the insides were still a raw, gooey nightmare.

I split them & splatted the gooey sides down on the griddle. They can be reheated in the toaster and while they taste better than the prepackaged kind for all of the aggravation (and thr stink of failure) I'd rather stick with Thomas'.

So what am I doing wrong? I would have thought that I had the temp up too high except that the first batch took forever on it's lower temp and was still uncooked inside. Am I maybe making them too thick? Am I destined for a life of prepackaged muffins?

And don't you know that the Wolferman's catalog arrived that afternoon...mocking me.

Nina

Comments (18)