SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Food to travel by plane or mail

lpinkmountain
14 years ago

I'm spending Thanksgiving in MI with family friends. I'm flying in Thurs. and out Sun. These friends are gracious enough to host me and my parents so I want to bring some type of festive, homeade or at least somewhat food related gifts. But it has to travel by plane with me, (and get through airport security) or I have to mail it in advance. I do not want to send or brind something sweet, because there will be a ton of that stuff there already. Does anyone have any experience trying to get a food package through airport security?

I'm thinking about possibly mailing a couple bottles of local wine that I like, along with maybe some cheese, although I am skeptical about ordering cheese online. Another option is some kind of bread, sent from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor. Another option is a couple of loaves of quick bread made at home, to take with me. I had initially thought about bringing some antipasta type canned stuff that I make, like chutney and red pepper spread, but there will only be a few people in attendance who will like that kind of thing. Not sure about getting that through customs too. Maybe cheese straws or a batch of Annie's jalepeno jelly thumbprint cookie recipe? Not sure how those would travel?

I don't want this to be a travel fiasco. I could send a fruit basket too, but I have not found a company that does this really well. I find Harry and David just so so. Not bad really, I just find a basket of out of season fruit a little trite because nowdays you can get that kind of thing in any store around.

I would appreciate any comments on my ideas, other suggestions, or experience traveling or sending food that you could share.

Thanks!

Lpink

Comments (15)