SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzieque_gw

Stupid Little Things That Bug You

suzieque
14 years ago

Ok, I cannot explain why this bothers me. And "bothers me" is really too strong. It just niggles at me.

I don't understand why so many women don't realize that you're supposed to clip and remove the basting that keeps the back opening of a jacket or skirt together when it's new. I'm not even sure I can explain it right. You know how you buy a piece of clothing that has a split in the back, and so there is usual a big X of thread to hold it together neatly? I travel on public transportation a lot, and walk in the crowds leaving the transportation, and it's amazing how many obviously not new pieces of clothing still are held together with that temporary thread.

I just want to reach out with a pair of scissors and snip that little thread so that the opening is free like it's supposed to be.

Stupid - about as unimportant as anything ever was, but it somehow just bugs me that so many people seem to be clueless about it.

Now let's not get started on the things I'm clueless about; that'd be a long list.

Do you have any stupid little things that you just "don't get" or that bug you for no good reason?

Suzieque

Comments (27)

• phyllis__mn
    14 years ago

....and pockets. Aren't they supposed to have the basting stitches out, too????

• mimi_boo
    14 years ago

People who write with both capital letters and lower case letters in the same word/sentence.

I have no idea why it bothers me, but it does.

• Related Discussions

No such thing as a stupid question?????

Q

Comments (18)
    Do you know their songs? She Drives Me Crazy Don't Look Back Good Thing Suspicious Minds Looks like we're hijacking another topic! Hey, to stay on topic, there once was a topic entitled, "I painted my traps" and he wanted to know if that would hurt the plant
    ...See More

Teeny tiny white little bug things???

Q

Comments (3)
    thanks. rhizo_1 i think thats it. springtails! they are on the soil... on the edge of the mulch/lawn. i looked them up online and they sound just like what i saw. i think i have the globular kind... they hop like tiny fleas. apparently they are harmless. thanks very much! julie
    ...See More

a really stupid thing I did

Q

Comments (2)
    Dirtdoctortoo: impatiens are amazingly forgiving, as long as there is water and heat. Have you tried overwatering them for a few days? I find it hard to believe there are enough chemicals in a used sparkler n the fountain water to kill the impatiens. What there might have been is some kind of fungus/algae in the water that the impatiens are reacting to. If it were me, I'd water them, and then water them again and see if they don't perk up some. Doesn't hurt to try. Keep them out of any direct sun for the next few days. Let me know if they come back to life at all. My curiosity is peaked. Kristine
    ...See More

Stupid Little White Bugs Eating my tomatos

Q

Comments (3)
    The insecticidal soap is an excellent treatment for many pests, and very good advice from Gary. I recently found a source for an industrial strength organic soap that is reported to not only repel white flies, but fruit flies as well. I'll know in a couple of months whether or not it lives up to it's billing.
    ...See More
  • carol_in_california
    14 years ago

Seeing people with crooked collars.......or lint on their clothing.
    Also dislike seeing crooked pictures hanging in someone's home or in a display at a store.
    Silly things like that.

• cheryl_ok
    14 years ago

Tags hanging out the collar of shirts and pockets not neatly tucked in!
    I've never noticed people not cutting the threads on them slits..it will be something I will look for now. LOL

• danihoney
    14 years ago

I'm going to divert from the clothing theme :)

lately it is being waived thru, or just stared at at three and four way intersections. You know, with stop signs. There is a RIGHT way to do it. If everyone understood the rule, no one would ever have to sit and wait for someone to make a move. Drives me nuts.

• soxxxx
    14 years ago

Garment hangers (coat hangers) on the closet rod or sales racks in stores with the hooks not all facing the same direction.

When growing up our mother instructed us to place them with the hook over the rod with the point facing the back of the closet, explaining that in case of fire that she might have to try to save our clothing in one big swoop. That never happened. She drilled it into me well as I told my family the same thing.

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

And why can't anyone in this house but me change the empty roll of toilet paper?! They can't even get a new roll to have ready when they leave just two sheets on the old roll! GGGGRRRRRRRR!

Tami

• pammyfay
    14 years ago

When you're standing in line at the grocery, the line is long, and then the manager calls for a new register to open. Fine--great! Then the manager says "Next person in line, this register is open." And some person 3 behind you jumps over there. Not a clue as to how rude he/she is. (This happened 2 weeks ago, and the cashier even said to the guy's face, "You were not the next person in line--you DO realize that you cut right in front of 3 people, right?" The dude was silent. Maybe suddenly became deaf, I told my own cashier... If I was the cashier, I would've refused to ring him up and walked the next person over. Probably would've been fired, too, tho!)

Maybe I'm getting old; the lack of courtesy in so many situations irks me.

• suzieque
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Agreed, pammyfay. I don't consider that a stupid little thing. It's major and so annoying.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

"I've never noticed people not cutting the threads on them slits..it will be something I will look for now. "

There was some show I saw where they filmed people at the mall and walking down their street with the basting stitches on their skirts and coats. It was all over. I figure they did not remove the ones from their pockets either.

I see people remove the cardboard tag on the waistband of their jeans/slacks and not cut the stitching. They just pull the tag off and leave four, big, bright white dots of thread.

What really bugs me is people who do not remove the tags from decorative pillows and have a sofa or bed displaying pillows with huge, white, long tags sticking out in every direction and flopping around. It really ruins the look.

I've seen people keep the tags on curtains and even bath towels. Why?!?

• irishdancersgram
    14 years ago

Pammyfay, That also bothers me, big time...And another, in a line that says, 10 items of less and sure enough someone will come through with a big order...They can't count or read and the cashier should send them away...

Another thing that bothers me is not pronouncing words correctly...Around here, people will say, Picksburgh instead of Pgh., or Libary instead of Library, axe instead of ask...Stupid, stupid little things like that.....

• angelaid
    14 years ago

I'm a cranky old b*tch and almost everything on the planet bugs me. LOL

Tailgaters
    Drivers that cut in front of me and slow way down, when there wasn't one darn person behind me, where they *could* have pulled in
    Drivers that gun it 100 miles per hour as soon as the light turns green to make a left turn - across four lanes of traffic - from the right lane. Happens at one intersection on my way home every single night.
    Anyone texting or talking on the cell while driving
    People in grocery stores blocking the aisles talking on cell phones
    People letting their children run wild
    People slamming their carts into my ankles waiting in the checkout line
    Neighbors that let their dogs bark wildly all night long
    Another neighbor that has to warm his diesel truck up for half an hour every morning, right under my bedroom window

I could go on and on ...

I think it all boils down to what pammy said, lack of courtesy/respect for others

• suzieque
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Uck - irishdancersgram - there is a radio commercial on now with someone who is, I guess, a famous sports figure (I don't really follow sports so have no idea who he is). He is doing an ad for donations for Haiti. He pronounces the word "earthquake" as "earfquake". Drives me batty; I change the channel when I first hear his voice because I can't stand to hear him talk about the earfquake. CRIKES!

Still get unreasonably crazed by that stupid little basting thread at the vent on clothing! tee hee.

• User
    14 years ago

mini blinds turned down instead of up.

• glenda_al
    14 years ago

Neighbor below me slams her door.

• marygailv
    14 years ago

People who don't know how to spell definite.

• trishaw
    14 years ago

The fact that not a single male in this household can close a cupboard door. They open them to remove plates, glasses, food and then leave them wide open! What the heck is up with that??

Trish

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

People who don't know how to spell "definite" ... and others who replace "than" with "then".

And similar such imprecisions.

ole joyful

• deborah_ps
    14 years ago

Years ago I had a co-worker who dressed to the nines and always looked so put together...One thing she mentioned was that suit jackets held their shape much better if the pocket basting was left intact. And from then on I never snipped mine out hoping to feel more "put together" :)

• chisue
    14 years ago

It's 'nails on the blackboard' time when I hear or read, "He's the man THAT lives there." It's WHO, not THAT, when you're talking about a person. This seems to be more and more common.

Do you ever hear 'prolly' instead of 'probably'? Do you hear 'soff-more' instead of 'sof-o-more' for someone in his second year of high school or college?

The very worst is "You know." The strongest point loses credibility if the speaker lards it with "you know." (You know?)

MUST people begin an opening statement with, "Well..."? You don't have to give me a minute to realize you're going to say something. I'm listening. Just SAY it.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    14 years ago

People that seem to be lost in their own little world, unaware of others around them. This could fall under rudeness but many times I just think people have so much on their minds they aren't aware of others trying to navigate life, too.

• loggerbaby123
    14 years ago

oh my you found me on a real bad day for things that bug me lol. first off being late, that drives me up a tree..i can see a few minutes or even an hour every once in awhile..but consistantly every darned day..up to 4 hours!!! lord love a duck, drives me batty! i also cannot stand it if everything isnt lined up (ocd) i guess. people in the store who park their cart in the middle of the aisle, leave it there then go to a different aisle, kids screaming and throwing tantrums in the store, my parents wouldve tanned my hide but good in front of EVERYONE, (probably a good reason why we were never spanked, when my parents talked you listened!) also at my moms house there will be 2 sqares of tp left on the roll..nope bring in a new roll and set it on the side of the tub!!! now why the heck when your sitting there remove the old one and stick in the new one? how hard is that??? drives me buggy..if i didnt do it no one else will. another people who walk in my house and leave the door wide open..what is up with that? people who do not wipe their feet..im going to start going with take your shoes off policy again nobody likes it then dont come in...grrrrr if the chickens poop in them thats your problem lol. dirty dishes being left everywhere. candy or gum wrappers everywhere when the waste paper basket is right here next to the table!gum or food particles in my ashtray yuk , yes i know smoking is bad but that is just terrible, people who do not flush the toilet that just grosses me out. ok thats just a few i could go on and on and on....boy you got me thinking and i got to vent a little at the same time..lmao thanks i feel better now..whos next?????

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

Another irritation.....women who say "preggers"......like it is a sin to say pregnant.

• jennmonkey
    14 years ago

On a regular day, I never let little things bother me. If I have PMS, everything under the sun bugs me (more like infuriates me), haha.

I'm guilty of many of the things listed above! I would drive you bonkers mimi boo, not only do I write some letters capital and some lower case, but I also write some cursive and some standard! It's my own writing style, LOL.

I didn't know blinds were supposed to go a certain direction. When I was a kid we were always taught to have them going up so nobody could see in from the outside.

• gwanny2three
    14 years ago

My neighbors, their dogs and their many cars!

• amicus
    14 years ago

I hate that so many people forget that the contraction for 'you are' is you're, not your. Less common, but for some reason it really bugs me when people drop the 'r' in the word forward, and pronounce it as 'foward.' I also hate it when people pronounce a word beginning with the letters str as if there is an h after the s. I often hear Tyra Banks say 'shtrong' or 'shtraight' and have noticed that some other people do this as well.

• socks
    14 years ago

When DH microwaves food in the plastic containers and melts the containers in splotchy places. That really irks me. Besides, it's not healthy to cook in that plastic.