SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coolmama_gw

new post for cat peeing and being put down

coolmama
17 years ago

I just wanted to shed some new light on an older thread about having to put down a cat that pees everywhere.

I was in a vet office and happend to pick up a magazine that had a very intresting article regarding this situation. Now,it was a few years ago,so forgive me if details rob my brain.

The article stated how common it was for cats (and some dogs) to be spayed or neutered incorrectly. That when this happens,the cat still exhibits behavioral problems such as they would if they were never fixed at all. And one of those behavioral problems would be the peeing for seemingly no reason at all.

A good example would be my sister's cat. Beautiful blacked haired kitty with green eyes and very soft fur.Never had any problems from her.Sister got her spayed and vaccinated like any good responsible pet owner.

Well,the kitty started peeing on her couch.She'd clean the couch to no avail and yes,her house started to smell bad.

Then it even became a pooping problem too.One day the cat actually I guess wiped her butt along my sister's walls all along one entire room.

My sister had enough,and took her to the pound~where as you know after about 7 days they put them to sleep.My sister felt so bad,she went back on the 6th day and got her back (after paying 80$)

The kitty stopped peeing everywhere for a while after this.Guess she knew she was about to die.

However,the cat starts it again after she moves to a new apartment.She gets her Third new couch and the kitty pees on it.

Meanwhile, the cat had been put on anti-depressants and it didnt help.Was treated for a UTI even though the vet said she didnt think she had one.Nothing helped.

I tell her about this strange article I read and she takes the kitty in to be checked out.Turns out,whomever spayed her cat did not do it correctly! Kitty was still semi-expriencing going in heat and would pee and poop as a way of showing her frustrations.The vet goes in and re-spays the cat~and the pee problem is solved.

Just thought I'd share this incase some of you didnt know this could happen.

I also wouldnt judge someone who had to put their cat down due to this problem if they tried everything they could.Yes,it is terrible to have to do,and I for one would try every alternative possible first~like making it an outside cat. No one really wants to put down a beloved.But i guess there is only so much you can take and try before giving up.

Comments (51)

Sponsored