Buying fresh horseradish
15 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Discussions
Better buy fresh cherries now!
Comments (19)Mr. Ed -- don't sweat it -- :-) I know Michigan still produces a reasonable, albeit far lower quantity of sweet cherries than the West Coast states. The problem is they don't make it to the consumer in any fresh form. You just can't get them anymore to speak of. But, when I was a kid in the 1970's, we could take an hour's drive from my home in the NW suburbs of Detroit and find pick your own orchards and fruit stands in N. Macomb, Lapeer, and St. Clair counties that had acreage planted into sweet cherries. Or, a day trip to NW Michigan, in the region between Frankfort through Traverse City up to about Petosky, the heart of Michigan's cherry production, would yield dozens to perhaps a hundred or more choices of pick-your-own operations with sweet cherries as well as tart. Now, they are virtually all gone, for several reasons. Economies of scale and the consolidation of family farms into "agribusiness" meant that it wasn't considered profitable to sell them retail, instead, the whole crop would be sold in bulk to a processor. And, most of the really prime cherry territory in Grand Traverse and Lelenaw (didn't spell that right!) counties was right in the heart of the area that yuppies found wonderful building sites for their McMansions as Traverse City had it's big expansion in the 1980's and 1990's. So, the mom and pop cherry orchards were sold for development. The ones that are left are the big commercial operations growing for processing, and these seem mostly to be sour cherries. There might be a handful of retail operations left. But, the last time I was up there, about a decade ago, we couldn't fine ONE. What we did find were fruit stands with west coast, trucked in cherries. And lots and lots of subdivisions of expensive new homes where orchards used to be, or even planted in among the orchards, but with no indication that the crop was sold retail in any way. Which is just sad, IMO. That's my take on it, anyway. One of my sisters lives about 60 miles S. of Traverse City, and she has told me for years that there aren't any sweet cherries to be had up there except for west coast imports. I tend to believe her about this one. But, I'd be more than happy to be corrected, because I'd love to know of a few good pick your own cherry places for those years when mine do diddly-squat for whatever reason. We used to freeze and can them, and they were great. My favorite were the yellow ones....See MoreAnnual Fall Horseradish Project
Comments (42)Oops, neglected to do an update for 2014. Did not take pics this year, figured it was not necessary as nothing has changed regarding the process. Dug horseradish roots and put up snow fence and road markers on Sunday, November 09, which turned out to be the last possible day before winter freeze-up. An early first snowstorm of the year happened the next day, Monday November 10. Spent that day doing snow removal and putting the last of the summer and fall stuff in storage. Processed the roots on Tuesday, November 11. Processed outside, temp was around 14 degrees. The cold was pretty hard on the fingers... This year I got 3 quarts of finished product, very tasty stuff. Total labor was 7 hours. Once again I traded half the harvest of horseradish roots to a local deer hunter for venison, he and his hunting buddies got around 3 quarts of finished product as well. I also sliced up a bunch of roots and dehydrated the pieces. I keep the dried slices whole in sealed jars and grind them into powder as needed - the flavor stays stronger that way versus grinding everything at once and putting the powder into jars. I gave all of my ground horseradish away for Christmas gifts save for a half pint that I kept for myself. Admittedly I like making it and giving it away more than eating it. My brother loves it and can burn through a pint of it in no time. I still like mixing some horseradish with Sweet Baby Ray's original BBQ sauce, using the mix as a dipping sauce or on grilled burgers. Nothing beats horseradish and plain mustard on a grilled brat, classic and still my favorite. Now I made myself hungry... Cheers, -Tom...See MoreHorseradish, aka driftwood, tree bark etc.
Comments (9)If the horseradish root was huge because it had not been picked in years then --- cut off the top just where the root starts and replant the top in new soil, throw away the tree trunk - it will not be pungent just woody. You can dig up and plant the tops anytime of year except when the ground is frozen (nothing grows in ice). New thin roots will form and are much tastier and are not driftwood looking. If horseradish has a darker ring in near the center it will not be very pungent, be woody and just slightly bitter - try to get little roots less than an inch in diameter. Dig it up in very early spring for the hottest flavor (here in NC that is March and on into April), the first year you won't have much new root growth but even the pencil thin roots will be tasty. Replant the top. Replant roots you cut off that are too small or too large or woody and you will get another plant. Horseradish wants to take over the world by spreading underground so I planted mine in the center of a vertical ring of 18" wide aluminum flashing (used for roofs) that I buried so it wouldn't grow out into the strawberries and asparagus neighbors. I love the big bold leaves and have considered planting it in my landscape beds - however, once planted you can NEVER get rid of all the hair roots in the soil and you will have horseradish coming up for years afterwards. Always put vinegar in grated horseradish and keep it refrigerated to prevent spoiling too quickly. It will not last forever though. It will taste and look really nasty brown if kept too long (more than a year) and could make you sick, just like any other vegetable you let rot in the "crisper". I seldom used horseradish as a condiment until I married a horseradish fiend - he uses it on everything and now I am hooked. A slice of the last of the home grown tomatoes, a little mayo or yogurt, topped with a bit of it makes a really yummy low-cal snack. A dollop in veggie soups, on steamed cauliflower, with raspberry jam and cream cheese for a cracker spread -- I could go on and on. Now, if only I could grow wasabi I would be in tang heaven. Nancy the nancedar...See MoreWhere around West Palm Beach can you buy fresh Bilimbi fruit ?
Comments (3)Not sure if they have it, but I would try Excalibur off Lantana..... they use to carry it. They carry a lot of exotic plants and rare fruits. I have gotten several things from them. Good service. There phone number is 561-969-6988...See More- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
- 15 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESDecorate With Intention: To Buy or Not to Buy
Before you make your next home-decor purchase, ask yourself these 10 questions
Full Story
KIDS’ SPACESFresh Starts: Stripes and Style in a Flexible Nursery
This couple said no to a ton of baby gear and yes to fun and practicality
Full Story
MY HOUZZMy Houzz: Fresh Start for an Art Collector in Tel Aviv
A homeowner rebuilds to suit her new life and make room for entertaining and creative endeavors
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: The Joy of Fresh Sheets
Make your bed a place of comfort and relaxation with good-quality linens, ample pillows and other pleasing accoutrements
Full Story
HOLIDAYSHow to Care for Your Christmas Tree
Keep your tree looking lush until the last ornament is packed away with these tips for watering, using stands and more
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSpring Style: Fresh-Cut Flowers for Every Room
Graceful, lively or dramatic, fresh flowers make rooms of every shape, size and style that much lovelier
Full Story
UPHOLSTERYSlipcover Magic: Casual, Washable and Fresh for the Season
Reinvent your sofas, chairs and ottomans with surprisingly chic and versatile slipcovers
Full Story
BLUEFresh Color Duo: Maritime Blue and Green
Nautical stripes get a fresh update with waves of green, for rooms that evoke the sea with subtle style
Full Story
FARM YOUR YARD4 Farm-Fresh Chicken Coops in Urban Backyards
These Atlanta henhouses are worth crowing about for their charming, practical designs
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESHouzz Tour: Layered Look Adds a Fresh Sense of Style
Midcentury art, pottery and a mix of furnishings bring a hip edge to a traditional Los Angeles home
Full Story
lindacOriginal Author