SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilymch

Enlarging existing sink cutout in granite counters?

emilymch
11 years ago

Hello! I'm a frequent lurker, and hopefully soon a more frequent poster. My husband and I recently bought a 1958 split level, and we have lots of plans for it! The previous owners did lots of updates, but most are not at all our taste, so we'll be updating as money allows. We'd like to do a complete kitchen remodel, but that won't be for a while. However, in the short term, I'm exploring the possibility of replacing the kitchen sink. The current sink is a double bowl undermount stainless sink with granite counters. The sink drives us crazy because the bowls are tiny - too small to fit big pots and pans. I'd much rather have a single bowl sink, so I started looking online for sinks with the same dimensions as the current one, thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to find one in the same size. Wrong! I did a bunch of searching, but couldn't find one in the particular dimensions of our cutout.

So....that was my really long-winded way of getting to my question: Does anyone know if it is possible to have the sink cutout enlarged without having the counters removed?

I'd only go ahead with this if it was easy and cheap(ish), since the kitchen won't be staying for forever. We want to bring the house back to its mid-century roots, and undo the more colonial, traditional elements that the previous owners put in. When I get around to measuring out the kitchen, I'll be posting the layout to get the forum's thoughts on the layout!

Comments (4)