SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eldemila

How to paint a house where smokers lived? New advice please.

eldemila
14 years ago

This is somewhat of a X post from the post I have in the Buying/Selling area of the site asking how to get rid of the smell of smoke?

In regard to painting, I'm trying to get something clarified and figured to come over for answers.

We have a contract on a home where smokers live. I don't know if prior owners to the current owners ever smoked, but these people have lived there for the past 6yrs. House was built in 1985.

They have had the carpets cleaned and it seems recently, the walls painted, maybe that's why the cigarette odor isn't really bad, (some homes I went to view I couldn't walk in the front door) this one, the smell is definitely there, but not to the point I couldn't walk in a hold my lunch donw.

Before the light bulb came on in my brain that they had recently painted, I was trying to find out exactly what was the best way to paint the walls. I am already planning on ripping out all the flooring, along with anything else that will hold cigarette odors and will clean everything that stays.

With paint, I read about cleaning with TSP and then painting with a primer such as Kilz. Now that I realized they've painted in the past few months, I wonder if I should still do the same.

I'm about 100% positive these people would not have had the walls prepped with anything for the nicotine and probably had the walls just painted over, so let's just assume they did that.

I am not sure if they are now still smoking in the house, or have so after painting. I was also told when my Mom sat in for the inspection this past Thursday that there seemed to be a ozone machine running in the house (my realtor confirmed) and she thought the smell was even less than when we saw the house the week before. Not sure what difference this machine makes and how it would influence how you'd handle this particular situation.

What would be the best way to proceed? With nicotine stained walls recently painted walls over, would washing them down with TSP be as important now that they've painted vs having old paint with nicotine (and gosh knows what else) on the walls? Is the TSP necessary at this point? Would just using a primer that blocks stains and odors, such as Kilz be sufficient at this point?

Just afraid of doing one thing while I should have done another.

Any clarification or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have linked my partial X-post below.

THANKS!

Here is a link that might be useful: Homes Where Smokers Live - How Did You Get Rid of Odor?

Comments (6)