SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlmw_gw

Kitchen Remodel

JLMW
10 years ago

We have been contemplating remodeling our kitchen. It is 10.5 feet across and 12 feet from the wall to the back of the cooktop. The space behind the cooktop is a small breakfast room (blank exterior wall to the left and window wall to the right by the table) with a utility room behind that (all of which I have tried to capture in the drawing). I have no clue where to start. We have spoken to different contractors, but all note we need to come up with a plan for the room. My main goals are to open up the kitchen to the den behind it (along the oven wall) and to have a kitchen where I can open a fridge door without hitting the dishwasher or the bifold door at the bottom or the pantry doors for the pantry next to the oven (the oven is where the x is on the left). I am not sure if this is even possible if I open up the room. My husband wants an island along the oven wall looking into the family room (there are currently 18 inch built in 9 foot tall cabinets the length of the den side of that wall until you reach the door way) but then says if it is not possible because the kitchen is too small and we will loose to much cabinet space, why bother. We could gain about a foot of space by making cabinets go to the ceiling along the sink wall. We are not great cooks, and we have 3 individuals in the house (2 adults, and a 5 year old). The microwave is the most used appliance, but we have a microwave hood (which I hate because it does not remove smoke or smells when searing or frying). The L peninsula is the most used space where everything takes place currently (between the sink and cooktop). I am open to any and all suggestions, and am currently looking into kitchen designers in my area as well, as I have no vision. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional