SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njhomeowner_gw

Help! Lead Paint found after sanding/stripping baseboards

NJhomeowner
12 years ago

Bear with me folks. Me and my wife just purchased our first house a few weeks ago and jumped right into some remodeling. First up paint and then floors. We started sanding last week as previous owners must have painted with blind folds on as their are paint globs and runs everywhere.

Anyway, I got really into it and started chugging away with a power sander to get rid of all the defects in the walls. As I am sanding yesterday and the dust is flying, it hits me, should I be concerned about lead paint? The house was built in 1968. So today i go out and buy a home testing kit. Better late than never.

I have sanded the walls, window trim and baseboard trim of 3 rooms (Dining Room, Master BR and Bedroom Hallway).

Good News:

No hit for lead on any of the walls of the rooms. I made sure to test in places where multiple shades (paints) were exposed

No hit on any of the window trim. Makes sense as all the windows were replaced in the 2009.

Bad News:

Lead paint hit on base board trim, 2 layers down.

As my wife was sanding the baseboards, she noticed the paint was easily peeling away. So she pulled it away revealing another layer. That layer i am unfortunately getting a positive reading.

No kids yet, no pets.

My question to you all, what extent can I go to remediate? I looked into this and understand i could get Child Guard Primer to encapsulate the baseboards? Should i remove the baseboards entirely? We didn't sand the family room yet, but my wife did remove the shoe molding in anticipation of having the floors refinished in two weeks, and some of the baseboard trim with lead is exposed now too.

How concerned should we be? The lead paint looks to flake off only, the layer above that is which comes off easily (essentially peeling off) Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated. Quite honestly I dont know what to do.

Comments (5)