SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kj927

Urine odor in walls/floors

kj927
14 years ago

We have a 50+ year old house that we haven't done anything to for the last 10+ years or so as far as paint and carpet. There are hardwood floors throughout, but the living room and hallways are carpeted so I don't know what shape the floor is underneath it. If it's like the bedrooms, they should be refinished.

My late beloved kitty (had her for 19 years!) and beloved pup (had him for 16!) were urinating on carpets all over the house in their later years. Now that they are gone, I want to get my house back in order and am afraid that the smell of pet urine has soaked into the hardwood floors through the carpet and permeated into the painted walls.

How should I treat the walls? They'll have to be washed before painting to remove dust and such - what should I use? Should I use a sealer as an undercoat before I paint? Is there a special paint I should use?

I am going to pull up carpet after I paint so I won't have to worry about spills or drips. I've read that the best way to get the odor out of the floor is to sand out the spots, then refinish. I plan to either cover with area rugs or put something like Pergo down, so I have to get the smells out.

Any suggestions?

KJ

Comments (7)

Sponsored