SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahandbray_gw

Best Painting strategy for OLD clapboards?

sarahandbray
11 years ago

**cross-posting on old house forum**

We are at the painting phase after taking off the siding and I'm getting a little gun shy! T-minus two weeks!

We have the painter lined up and trust his prep work, attention to detail, finished product, etc.

What I'm not sure of is the product we should use for the longest hold. He has an exclusive with Sherwin-Williams but is pretty flexible using any of their paints/primers that we decide. As of now, we are down for "SW exterior primer" and "two coats of SW Emerald exterior paint." I know that Emerald is a latex paint (should we use oil-based instead?) and I'm not sure what type of "exterior primer" he is using.

The clapboard and trim and scalloping all seems to be in good shape with only one layer, maybe two of paint. There are not many exposed areas. I'm sure it's pretty dry underneath, however. It is not flaking though it does have that alligator look in some areas. Last time it was painted was probably the 1940's since the aluminum was put on in 1952. The window trim, which has been exposed, has more flaking of paint and looks dry.

I'm aware of all of the lead issues--wondering more about what primer I should insist the painter use and then what paint. Maybe he would be willing to go outside of Sherwin-Williams for the primer, if necessary, but it would be easier if I could stay within that brand.

I can't seem to get a decisisve answer on what would make the paint stick the longest without bubbling and flaking.

Thanks!

Sarah

Comments (3)