SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
needsometips08

Hood venting and sink frustration - does this sound right?

needsometips08
15 years ago

I am working with a guy from Showplace Cabinets who is putting together a quote for me, and I am going crazy with hood range vent stuff.

First he tried everything under the sun to get me to go with a downdraft range so I could skip the hood altogether.

Once he realized I would not budge on having an externally vented hood, then he was trying to convince me to just pipe it from the hood down through the wall under the house into our crawl space. And on top of it, he says 220 CFM is more than adequate for residential, even going against gravity. From everything I've read here, 220 is NOT enough for anything, let alone enough to push the fumes downward under the house. Plus does a greasy crawlspace sound ideal? Then he got into the topic of the externally mounted fans - anyone know anything about those? Are they expensive? We'd have to mount it externally about 2 feet from the range because the exterior part of the wall starts about 3" to one side of the range - sound possible?

Does the 220 part and venting it downward sound right to you?

He also insists that I need bare min of 6", but much, much preferably more than 9" on the side of my sink in order to allow for granite or really any other countertop. He said nobobody would put even a 5" strip of granite on one side of a farm sink because it can't connect with a supporting strip along front of sink (cause it's a farm sink). Which means we would need to move all the plumbing over about 7 or so inches in order to put in the ss farm sink I want. Does that sound right to you?

Comments (17)