SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilod_gw

Living with Wildlife

lilod
17 years ago

I live rural and I am very fortunate for it. We have a multitude of wildlife and I don't feed any of them, not even the song-birds, hummingbirds or any other feathered creatures I enjoy.

I used to put out bird feeders, and they were taken over by the "bad guys" : crows, blackbirds and jays, they would empty the feeders, throwing a lot of the food onto the ground, where the little ones had a feast, but with the food so concentrated, they were a set-up for cats and small raptors. I realized all these creatures lived here before I did, and so they have natural food.

I had fun feeding humming birds, eventually I had so many more than the place could support naturally, using 85# sugar each season and realized I was not doing them a favor, so quit. there are still lots of hummers raiding the garden, I can enjoy them without manipulating their life.

There are people here feeding deer, raccoons and even bears, something illegal and definitely not to the best interest of the critters. So I enjoy the ones I see, feel good to know the "unseen" ones are around, they use my pond as their drinking hole when the water dries up in the high country, and they are happy and well - I can tell by their scat.

I know this is only one side of the coin, can we share opinions?

Comments (45)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH