SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

My Sled Dog Ride in Willow, AK (7 pics)

Jodi_SoCal
15 years ago

I haven't finished going through all of my Iditarod race photos but I have prepared some photos of the day I went on an 8 mile sled dog ride in a most beautiful area.

We went to the Dream a Dream kennels of 14 time Iditarod musher Vern Halter. Vern is a friendly, very approachable man with lots of smiles and love for his 70+ dogs.

We sledded in Willow, AK, just outside Wasilla. It had snowed heavily the night before leaving a bright, beautiful, sugary winter wonderland. The likes of which this Southern California gal has never seen.

This is Vern telling us (a group of 11) about how to pack and prepare to run an Iditarod.

{{!gwi}}

This is Vern's kennel.

{{gwi:1548710}}

This is where we rode in Willow, AK just outside Wasilla.

{{!gwi}}

This is Vern and I and his Boarder Collie Jessie. Vern had loaned me his suit and other gear that he wore in one of the Iditarod's he raced.

{{!gwi}}

My view as I was sitting in the sled's front basket. I sat in it for 1 mile of the 8 mile ride.

{{!gwi}}

This was taken while I was standing on the back runners of the sled. I did this for 7 miles. It was a blast! I did have to ask the musher to stop so I could take the photo. :-)

{{!gwi}}

Me ... one very happy musher.

{{!gwi}}

Jodi-

Here is a link that might be useful: Vern Halters kennels in Willow, AK

Comments (32)