SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franksmom_2010

Any tricks for using BIN

franksmom_2010
13 years ago

I've used the BIN shellac primer for all sorts of things. Covers great, paint sticks and covers great. In general, love the stuff!

However...I find the spray much, much easier to use. Every time I've tried using the brush on, I end up with brush marks, wads of paint, etc. Apparently, I'm not fast enough or neat enough, or something. It seems to dry immediately as I'm brushing it on, so it makes going over any tiny spot twice or any overlap at all just a huge mess.

Anywho, I have a lot of furniture to paint, and have a gallon of BIN. I'm not really wanting to buy enough spray cans to prep all of the pieces, but if it saves me a few days sanding the whole mess off, I'd do it.

Any suggestions for using this? Is there any kind of brush or roller that would help? I'm currently using Purdy brushes for both primer and paint.

Oh, and I tried smoothing out a messy priming job using some 000 steel wool dipped in denatured alcohol. Don't do it. The flat surfaces did smooth out, but every crack and crevice ended up with gobs of BIN with tiny threads of steel wood embedded in it.

Comments (15)