SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Westboro funeral protesters foiled by bikers

alisande
13 years ago

Here's a short (and heartwarming) video showing how a group of veterans on motorcycles protected a serviceman's funeral from the Westboro church crazies.

Click here

Comments (19)

• gadgets
    13 years ago

Thank you for sharing............united we stand.

Shirley

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

not the first or sadly the last time these bikers have buffered families from westboro...thsnk for posting...

i still say the supreme court was wrong...this isn't a case of freedom of speech...it's a case of freedom of hate...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/03/02/134194791/supreme-court-sides-with-westboro-church-on-funeral-protests

• scraphappy
    13 years ago

I cannot say enough positive things about the Patriot Guard - if I were personally able, I'd be right there with them. (Lost my motorcycle-riding veteran husband two years ago). They are truly angels in my book!
    Something is truly wrong with the courts for making the decision they did to protect that group of hate-mongers - can't understand it!
    God Bless America!

• hayjud_mn
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting that link. It brings me to tears.

• joan_mn
    13 years ago

I agree with Susanjf, what a mistake the Court made.

• liljunkr
    13 years ago

BRAVO Patriot Guard Thanks You

As much as I despise and disagree with the Westboro Wackos I have to say, AS much as it sucks, they are within their rights as Americans to assemble and protest using speech, according to the 1st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. This is one of the rights soldiers have given their lives for and even the crazies are entitled to those rights. On the other hand Now There are laws in most places governing the scope of the size and the behavior of a group of protesters and making known the things they have to do or can not do during their assembly. In most places they need a permit to assemble in significant #s. Normally it is a free permit and it allows so many protesters to gather in a certain place. It is also a guarantee by the protesters to not be violent or physically disruptive?(I think that means they can't touch, in any way, anything or anyone they are protesting) or they will be arrested and fined. They are not allowed to obstruct any business or cause a hazard to the public safety. They are not allowed to just stand in one spot, they must continue to move (even in circles). They can not block any public access (roads, sidewalks, doorways, park entrances or even parking meters, nor obstruct any other persons pathway. I would like to be a police officer on the scene to see the permit and to make sure every letter of the laws abiding to assembly and protest is followed, by the thinnest of lines. One person in the group of protesters so much as tips on the side of an infraction of the laws the permit is void and the whole group has to go away. Since the Patriot Guard is invited to the services they have all the rights to be in a large assembly and be on the private property of any church or cemetery blocking the Wackos from being heard and seen.

BRAVO Patriot Guard Thanks You

Thanks for posting alisande

LIL

• marie_ndcal
    13 years ago

Even thought I agree 100% with everyone to not allow a group like this at any funeral, my concern is if the Supreme Court did not allow this group to protest, what/who would be next and for what reason. That is where the problem is in my opinion. The states, cities, and counties can set laws to protect everyone, like requiring permits, fees, how close etc. Again I too thank groups like the Patriots to protect us.

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

The Supreme Court was correct in upholding the Constitution - it's why we have them.

Yes, the Westboro people are vile. They keep going because they know the limits. They incite people to sue them, and then they collect judgments, often in the hundreds of thousands dollars.

I applaud any and all people who can get between them and grieving families. They haven't been in my community, but you can bet, if they are, I will show up at the funeral.

These people offend me on such a deep level. I'm grateful we have groups like the Patriot Guard to stand in for those of us who can't travel to every funeral.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    13 years ago

Read Mary's post.

• kacram
    13 years ago

freedom of speech is to protect un popular speech. You don't need to protect popular speech. The supreme court did what they had to do. that being said, the westboro bunch demonstrates... well, what I was going to say isn't very nice... it was something about inbreeding. ...
    not one of my finer thoughts... but they aren't exactly finer people.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

Bravo!

• susanjf_gw
    13 years ago

the reason i don't think it's freedom of speech, but imho a hate crime against the gay community...how do they draw that very thin line? we certainly would be offended if they were using the n word and condemming af-am blacks, but using the 3 letter f word against the gay community isn't?

• jel48
    13 years ago

God bless the Patriot Guard.

• Vique_Pa
    13 years ago

I was one of the people who were going up to Perry County, Pa. to shield the family who lost 7 children in a house fire. We canceled at the last minute, the State Police said they had information that the WBC wouldn't be there as they were protesting a Marines funeral in New York. I realize these people have the right to free speech, I also think when we were granted free speech our forefathers didn't have something like this in mind. It is my opinion that this isn't a church as such, it is a cult.

• katlan
    13 years ago

I think I've asked this question before, how is the Westboro bunch funded? It costs money to transport, house and feed these protesters all over the country. What do these people do when not picketing a funeral? Do they have jobs? Do they actually have a brick and mortar church/worship building?

God bless the Patriot Guard. Can anyone join them?

God forgive the Westboro people, they, like everyone else, will have to answer for what they do in this world.

• alisande
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was thinking the same thing myself. Are they employed? What kind of job allows them to drop everything and zip off to multiple funerals? I'm guessing some poor believers are going without in order to fund the "cause." Vique mentioned cult. Good description.

• kfca37
    13 years ago

I believe Fred Phelps, the head, is/or was an attorney who was once apparently involved in the Civil Rights Movement in the 196oties. His daughter is an attorney & I think a number of family members, who heavily constitute the Westboro church, are also attorneys in the Kansas area. Other than that, I don't know their employment break-down.

• kfca37
    13 years ago

BTW, Wikipedia has an extensive page on Phelps. and by extension, something of Westboro. Looks like he has 13 chidren & a number of them are/were attorneys. Likely no problem with legal advice.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

A bunch of inbred morons with law degrees. They fund their activities with money they receive in lawsuits which they frequently file. .