SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Vacation Childcare--feedback

azzalea
15 years ago

Please excuse any typos--just came from the eye dr., am still dilated, and can hardly see the screen, so I'm definitely typing by touch and sometimes the fingers get mixed up--LOL!

Was on another website where parents were lamenting the problems of childcare during school vacations (no summer--but the weeklong or day off ones during the school year) when both or single parents have to work.

So I was thinking--do you think this would go over? Childcare for vacations only that would be a cross between summer camp and a visit to Granny. Activities to include: learning to cook, time for doing homework or reading, crafts, outdoor play, fun science experiments, board games, etc. Breakfast, lunch, snacks and craft materials included. On the last day, the kids could prepare a whole dinner to share with their family and show off what they learned. Limited to maybe 5-6 children, in grades 3-5. All under the supervision of a certified, experienced, former teacher.

Sort of the 'Holiday Inn' of childcare, I guess.

So what do you think? An idea that would fly? And what do you think people would be willing to pay? I'm thinking it would have to be $40-50 per day; mabye $150 per week, per child. But that would include food, recipes to take home, crafts, etc. And I live in a high cost of living area, so I'd be thinking that professionals might be the target family I'd be going for.

Would love to hear some feedback, and any suggestions. Thanks.

Just thought this sounded like a fun parttime job for me, something I'd enjoy, that I'm really good at, that I wouldn't have to commit to fulltime.

So those of you who work--wo

Comments (13)

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

I know you said you live in a high cost of living area, but no way I'd pay $40-$50 per day here just IMO.
    DD signs DGS Hunter (age 8)up for summer programs similar to that for less. It runs from May til the first or mid August. She also has him in T-Ball and swimming lessons and they do take him and pick him up if needed. That would be something you'd have to check on also.
    It is a problem for kids in school because daycare is so expensive, he goes to an after school program during the school year, so therefore when no school he is considered "drop in" at daycare, which costs more than the normal daily daycare.
    He has come to stay with us the last 2 years and we all enjoy it! He's stayed anywhere from a week to almost 2 weeks. I realize not everyone can do that though.
    I think your idea is good but cost would have to come down.
    What area are you in?

• paula_pa
    15 years ago

Well, it sounds good although you would have to look into any state laws or licensing issues since it could be considered a type of in-home daycare. It may not be worth it to you if there are too many investments you need to make to do this (for licensing, certifications, etc).
    You would probably need to have your customers lined up before the school year started, when the school calendar comes out. You have to be able to do this once you commit - if you're sick or otherwise unavailable when those days come around those parents won't be happy.
    I'd check around at prices of your local daycares and before and after school programs to get an idea of what parents in your area would pay. That is about what I pay for Nick's full-time preschool here so it sounds reasonable.

• missindia2020
    15 years ago

My DD's afterschool care takes them full-time for an extra $8 per day. We supply her lunch; they supply snacks and craft supplies, games, etc... Maybe professionals where you live might do it; the ones I work with all have nannies.

• azzalea
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm in the NJ suburbs of Philadelphia--high population density area, and very high cost. You make a good point about cost, but what I'm proposing really couldn't be done for less.

I just did a quick search of day camp rates in my area. That would be the kind of experience I'd be offering--not simple daycare. It would be structured, there would be plenty to do (and take home), and I'm a very experienced teacher. Anyway, a week at day camp in my area runs between $800-well over $1000. So for a comparable, small-group, full day (with the option of extending hours) experience with lots of personal attention, I don't think $150-200 is out of line at all. I know it sounds like a lot if you compare it to babysitting rates, but that's not what I'm suggestion. I'm talking about a truly educational, but fun week, during school holidays.

• waddles
    15 years ago

I think it is a great idea. I also think that the price is not too far out there. I know several people pay at least 100 a week for daycare and then still have to pay half of that in the summer (they are teachers) just to hold their spot when they are not using daycare. Most people that don't have to pay for daycare all year around would probably pay a little more and knowing that it would be educational would also be a plus.

Are you close to multiple school districts or just one?

• zeetera
    15 years ago

I think it's a good idea too, if you can keep up with it. Maybe have someone ready in case you have appts, sick, etc. Is there a law that there's so many children per teacher?

Also, don't forget about the periods right after school breaks for the summer, and at the end of summer. At the end of summer, camps tend to close 1 to 2 weeks before school starts and lots of parent stress trying to find somewhere to place their children.

Good luck!

• susanjf_gw
    15 years ago

i'd ask other parents in your school dist..i do know child care is taking a big hit in some areas as parents who are now unemployed, child care is the first think they cut.

dd after years of daycare, is going with a p/t nanny now...

i do think you've got a great idea if the parents can afford you...

do look into cert and cpr, etc...

• jennmonkey
    15 years ago

I think it's a great idea. I know many people who pay at least that much for childcare, and I think the skills you are offering to teach are important ones that aren't taught in regular schools. It's certainly worth a try!

• marlingardener
    15 years ago

Your pricing is right on target. However, you do have to consider:
    1. Cost of record keeping--emergency number, doctor, food allergies, etc. per child
    2. Additional insurance. Check with your homeowners' insurer to see if your rates would go sky-high.
    3. If you are serving food, the cost of a high temperature dishwasher. Many states require it.
    4. Extra supplies--toilet paper, tissues, etc.
    5. Factor in wear and tear on your home/yard.

And finally, the impact on other family members. I know how thrilled my husband would be to come home to six kids, and the cat just wouldn't stand for it!

• socks
    15 years ago

I think people would love it. I don't know prices, but you could call some daycare places (as a potential customer) and get some daycare prices and go from there. I think this is a terrific idea.

Lots of other good thoughts here. You might have to have some kind of childcare license through the state. There's a lot to think about here.

• carla35
    15 years ago

Well, if a family only has one kid it may fly, but if they have two or three, I'm not sure it would be their best option.

I know you say you would do special things with them.. but many babysitters do what you are saying. I not seeing where you are really offering anything special. My friend has a babysitter that takes the kids to the pool one day, the zoo the next, a museum the next day, etc... and just gets paid a babysitting rate. Crafts, activities, games, etc.. and stuff are expected in daycare. Don't price yourself out of the ballpark by asking too much money. You're not providing a special camp experience... it really does sound just like a day at grandmas..

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

I think you have a great idea going there. I am thinking about doing daycare for my hairdresser's infant next fall. I told her I would come to her home for the 3 days a week she needs the daycare. I would also charge less than the going rate because I love babies and she is a good friend. The baby isn't due until the end of July.

• deborah_ps
    15 years ago

I think you have a terrific idea!
    And I think you've tried to relay that you're providing an experience more than the typical babysitting fare.
    I wouldn't bother worrying about whether "everyone" can afford you, some can, some can't. Target the professionals who can.
    p.s. I might add an etiquette course along with your other activities. That alone would be the price of admission :) :)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths