SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Oh my gosh--I LOVE this Impervo paint!!

bayareafrancy
15 years ago

WOW! I LOVE this BM wateborne Impervo!!

I'm a slooooooow painter, and I'm used to oil. So after reading about the tricky application of the waterborne, I was feeling pretty anxious about using it.

(I've been restoring my 1929 kitchen for over 2 years now. So much blood, sweat, and tears are in this project. And I want everything to be perfect--which it never is. So I've got a lot of emotion invested in this painting project!)

At 11pm, the family was finally all asleep, and I was awake, and staring at the paint can. Part of me said, "Go to bed! You can paint in the morning." But the louder part said, "Try it now! Try it now!" So, I popped it open, and ended up painting until 2am. Oh, I felt like singing. Singing, I tell you! Tra La La...

It went on so beautifully, and the brushstrokes just melted away. When working on a long stile, for example, I just kept working back into the wet area, but never really needed to do a final pull-through with the brush like I would with other paint. I never needed too.

The hardest part was noticing an errant drip 5 minutes later, and not lettng myself touch it. That took restraint! But the vertical surfaces went very well.

The coverage may not be the greatest. As I was painting, I noticed a few shoe scuff marks on my newly primed face frames (those sneaky kids!). I was already painting, so I just painted over them. I can still clearly see them through the pale yellow paint, but hopefully they will eventually get covered.

The only real problem was that I got too much paint on a few of the doors (being painted in a horizontal position). I was having so much fun 'pouring' it on, and watching it melt into glass, I guess. So, this morning, some spots are still tacky. Will this eventually cure ok? These are the backsides of the doors, so I'm not too worried about them. But do I need to be careful to avoid this on the front sides? It certainly looks thick and luscious, but will it make a surface that is ultimately less durable, and more dentable, etc.?

Thank you thank you thank you for all the advice you all have given me so far. I was so scared to try this paint, my hand was actually shaking last night. But it was soooo fun! I can't wait to do more!

:-) Francy

Comments (2)