SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Best exterior paint and primer?

sue36
14 years ago

Due to issues with the way rain sheets off our roof, we have a lot of rotted trim after only 3-4 years. We are replacing all the trouble areas with Azek and are going to have all the trim, columns, etc., painted (the body of the house is natural cedar). The trim is white, Pratt & Lambert red can in Eggshell (I think it's eggshell). I'm not necessarily saying I'm not happy with the P&L, I'm just wondering if there is something that would be better. I am also wondering what the best primer is, both for over the Azek and for some other areas. Also (sorry), do you think Eggshell is the best sheen, or should we go with more? I don't think P&L has a latex semi-gloss, and I'm not sure if semi-gloss would be wrong.

I used SW Duration on an exterior door and really disliked working with it. It was too thick to work with and impossible to keep a wet edge. Not an issue on trim, but on a door, it was difficult (a person at SW told me they get a lot of complaints about its workability on larger surfaces).

Also, there are some areas where galvanized nails are showing through as rust marks. Can that be covered with a primer (if so, what type) and paint?

We live in Maine, so summers are usually about 75-85 with some humidity (but not outrageous). Winters rarely go below 5. The house gets a lot of sun since there are no trees immediately near it.

Here is a picture of the house from a few years ago.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Comments (10)