SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

What kind of things do you love forever?

palimpsest
14 years ago

A certain percentage of posts start with..."I'm bored with, or "I am afraid I will get tired of..."

Now, I admit that I will get tired of seeing variations of the same LR or kitchen in various magazines that I read, throughout an entire editorial cycle. However, I really don't understand being bored or tired of something that you once really liked, unless you are a faddish person. I am not saying that is bad...if it weren't for people responding to fads, we would never see anything new, nor would there be "new classics" that survive their early faddishness.

For background, which many of you know, I grew up in a house that my parents furnished, pretty classically, in 1969--and after 1975 not a stick of furniture has entered or left that house. (Except things for elderly people). Things have been recovered, refreshed, some new color schemes, but the furniture arrangement has never varied. I like it and I have always liked it. They have a basement with plaid carpet and a kelly green lacquer table (1975) and I could pick up 75% of that room and transplant it, if I had the room--not verbatim, perhaps, but close enough.

I have made mistakes, my style has evolved from one house to the next. But the vast majority of things I like are constants and I could reiterate them over and over. In that regard I am a terrible consumer.

For the people that get bored, why do you get bored? Why do your design idea(l)s change? Are there things you never tire of?

Comments (57)

• ruthy1
    14 years ago

I will always love the furniture that DH made & the pieces of furniture that we have inherited. I will change out drapes/curtains, things on the walls, and bedding. And very occasionally change the paint on the wall.

• ezbake
    14 years ago

my husband!

• Related Discussions

What do you do first thing in the morning?

Q

Comments (65)
    Make my "turbo-hot" (STRONG coffee!) at 4:45-5 am. Trip on kitties who are expecting me to share some half 'n half. Sing "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" (remember Mr. Rogers?) to 2 of them, and tell them to go out and have themselves "an adventure." Feel guilty for not letting the 3rd out because a neighbor complains that she keeps peeing in her flowerbed near her front porch. She asked me to keep this kitty on a leash. :0( I DON'T THINK SO. Turn on the computer and check out GW/Rose forum and IM our son who is stationed in Guam (Navy). Throw on some shorts/jeans and t-shirt and go walk around the gardens. I sell mixed bouquets locally, so I bring a big container and scissors/thorn stripper with me if I have orders for that day to bring to work with me. Then I arrange them and finish getting ready for a day at my school (I'm a Teaching Assistant all year long). Wish I didn't have to do ANYTHING other than be in our gardens! :0) Phyl
    ...See More

Do you just decorate with things you love?

Q

Comments (33)
    Ahhh-- I agree with all of you! I see that we are coming from many different backgrounds and budgets, which definitely affects things, I think. My DH and I do not have generational items. If I had 6 BARNS full of stuff, I'd never have to buy anything again. :) Both of our mothers are still alive. The only family items I have are a side table, a set of my husband's childhood books, and my grandfather's painting. Those will never leave this home! We also have 5 young children. Their "stuff" is in most rooms, so, for example, even the board books don't look elegant in the living room, I have no intention of moving them or giving them away. I also try to limit the amount of toys they have, and buy beautiful ones (like a handmade wooden dollhouse instead of a plastic one). DH and I are not collectors, other than his few boxes of comics. I do not have many knick-knacks at all. People gave some to me, but I got rid of them in my 20s. They held no real meaning to me and I see knick-knacks as mostly clutter, which I do not like. I am going to get a few as I now have a few places which need them (built-ins in the DR), but I am going to take my time. I am also not one to follow trends. While I do appreciate modern style, I think one must have a lot of time and money to keep up with the latest, and I have neither. I tend to buy only vintage or antique, save for items like bookcases. (Too hard to find the right size for my room, and too $ most of the time.) Ditto for sofas, because my DH would not like that! My major items (furniture) will like stay around for a long time, because they are styles I have loved for ages. It's more the few details . . .purchased when I needed "something" (we still do not have proper end tables-- never have!). I also very much agree with limiting the time of the "hunt." I want to be done. I guess this is actually more the point of my question! Sometimes, I look for things to match instead of focusing on what I love. Now, when I see something I love, I am just going to get it, and worry about where to put it later. I find that since I tend to be loyal to my tastes, I will likely love it forever. Case in point: I was looking for lamps for my mantle. I found lamps that would go, but they were verging on tacky, even though from the '20s. My DD took one look at them (online) and said, "Those are UGLY!" She was right . .I thought, I am going to go just by my instinct (heart) instead of my mind. I am going to get things I LOVE for little things, too, whereas I was normally 100% functional in those areas. I am not talking about replacing what we have, but rather, when I need something, it will only be with what I LOVE. We do not have room for many decorative items, so I will bring in things that make me smile with function. If I had the $, I think I would be done looking, on the whole. I see plenty of things I do love, but they are way beyond my tiny budget!
    ...See More

What kind of tess do you prefer? What do you have a surplus of?

Q

Comments (28)
    Love the modness of it all - and thanks for showing the beginning of the progress. I was wondering where you got the darling hearts and checked pattern - then looked up through the posts. From your plates! Never thought about using more recent plate patterns - I'm not much into garage sales because my mother was so obsessed with them. (not meant as a dig to anyone who likes them - just that I was recruited to drive her everywhere.) Oh, and I brought a heater into my chilly spare bedroom where I work - that really helped with the cutting. Susan
    ...See More

What kind of electronic thing to watch movies on do I want?

Q

Comments (6)
    Unfortunately your options for a "great" picture and sound is going to be somewhat limited in that size of television because consumers generally want bigger TV's and manufacturers put their efforts into those. Your best bet is to visit your local stores and see what's available. Generally speaking the better quality televisions come with "smart" features but, obviously, you don't need to use them. As for connecting the TV to your computer, all modern televisions are going to come with some number of HDMI ports and a COAX connection. After that there may or may not be other connections (component, composite, etc.). Does your laptop have an HDMI port? If not, you're going to have to find a TV that has the port you need. As for watching over-the-air television, all you need is an antenna. The number of stations you can receive is going to be a function of your proximity to the local broadcast towers and the kind of antenna you have.
    ...See More
  • redbazel
    14 years ago

While I can now appreciate colors that would have made me yawn in my 20's, I still find myself drawn to the same shades that hung in my closet when I was 18. I seem to have an appreciate for vintage or antique furniture with simple, classic lines and turned legs. I've also liked these lines for most of my adult life. Vintage prints appeal, and plants in pretty pots.

Red

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

I hope that I love everything forever. As slow as the process of acquiring things is, I can't risk losing things to fickleness. Creating a home is like getting married -- especially that, for richer, for poorer bit.

In my home, I really crush over my vintage crystal chandies, a free chair I recovered in leopard, campaign table, my antique piano, and a couple of goofy carved Asian figurines.

Last week I (finally) bought a couple of nightstands. I just finished a Krylon-fueled past few days painting them metallic gold. I am cautiously optimistic that they will make me happy forever too.

OTOH, I can't count or even remember all of the throw pillows I've made. I sew plus everyone seems to give their fabric scraps to me. The pillow stuffing though, I think it will be with me forever. LOL

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I like the same things I liked at 18, I'm now 45 but I also like many more things too.
    But the colors that made my heart sing then still do and if anything, I embrace them more now than ever.
    Natural cherry, every shade of periwinkle to cobalt, denim, to robins egg blues, blue and white ceramics of all kinds, the color raspberry in all values, detailed hand carved things, curvy furniture, "the outdoors brought in", all shades of green, pale yellows, tiny bits of orange.
    If I ever find a heathered raspberry colored anything, I almost always buy it.
    I have never really liked the colors peach, brown or gray much. I like brown wood furniture , floors, baskets, etc, but that's when it's a neutral, same with gray. But when it becomes the main color, I don't like it at all.
    Don't really think formal is enduring in my life. Comes and goes.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

You know the color thing is interesting. I've "done" many colors, but in the end, over the last ohhh 20 years, I'd say that I gravitate towards specific color families. That's what has made the victorian thing such a challenge for me. So bad I'm bringing in a designer to hold my hand when the time comes to move forward.

I do gold, bronze, pumpkin, yellow, almond, green, gad anything but blue purple and pink :P I'm a rich and warm color girl and embracing the more saturated colors mixed together from the victorian period is a challenge for me. So I'll have to join the color girls...I will be burried in gold :) I love it and use it in some form in every room I do.

• begoniagirl
    14 years ago

I still love all the antique and vintage furniture, lighting, pottery we started collecting when we married almost 39 years ago. My husband and I also still have some furniture pieces from both our grandparents and find those things so comforting, even with all the blemishes and character marks. We did buy some new furniture when we first started out but those items are long gone. Oh, I also love forever my wonderful husband who goes along with whatever I want to do with our home decor....

• lisa_mocha
    14 years ago

#1...My dog. (Please don't let my DH read this. My dog is perfect. DH...well...almost:))

I think I'll always love all things white. So easy to change with any hit of colour when boredom stikes.
    White duvet...add coloured cushions(or paint the walls:)) White vases, add bright flowers and so on. I am forever changing my mind though on pillows, art etc and like to change these accessories...too frequently according to DH:)

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Saltillo tile
    Wood floors
    Red brick

• arleneb
    14 years ago

We have quite a few contemporary art pieces -- paintings, signed prints, and sculptures -- that I never get tired of looking at. The colors lift my heart.

Color is such a funny thing . . . A few years ago I toured a house that recently sold for around 4 million . . . it had been completely gutted and redecorated . . . and was brown! Everywhere! Every shade possible!! I could admire it, but couldn't stay there for more than a quick tour. On the other hand, many of you here find grey depressing, boring, and cold. I find it soothing and a great backdrop for the vivid colors in my art work and accessories. My BF has green everywhere; wouldn't ever use blue in decorating. I love blue, and figure the trees and grass outside are all the green I need! I think every room needs red somewhere, and yellow makes me happy, so I love bursts of those colors.

I think a house isn't really a home until a dog moves in. I'm still aching for the Golden I lost two years ago, and for the puppy who's in my future.

And I'm missing the view of the lake that we left when we moved to Tennessee. After 32 years, I never, ever took it for granted and enjoyed the view a hundred times a day. My hills and ridges are nice, but . . . there's nothing like a water view!!

• User
    14 years ago

Stained wood. I'll never tire of it. I've always loved and been amazed at the beauty of the grain and how it ages. Painting good wood is sacrilege to me.

Checks. Whether gingham, buffalo or as on a checkers board. I love checks and have for as long as I can remember.

Yellow-Blue-Green. Combined in various ways, each alone or any of the three in pairs. Green is my all time favorite color since I was a small child.

Wicker. It brings back memories of times spent on my Gramma Alexander's front porch. I even have one of the chairs from there.

Colorful walls. I'm sure I got that, and my love of home and it's decor, from my Mom.

Mid-Century Modern Walnut furniture. I was born in the mid fifties and lived in a wonderful MCM home in a wonderful neighborhood full of many friends. I lived the perfect life. Which I'm sure is what draws me to it's furnishings and style of decorations. They speak HOME to me.

• denali2007
    14 years ago

I tire very easily of window treatments and bedding. I have never tired of my case goods. I will not buy something unless I absolutely love it. I will save up to buy it and not settle for anything else. I will do without. I love my DR set and all my lamp tables and curio and and secretary. As far as upholstered furniture I do tire of the materials.My family room furniture I have had since 1991 and was worn out. I did not like it as it was too big for me and I was never comfortable sitting in it. I kicked it to the curb and bought new. Ny living room furniture was purchased in 1984 and I am in the process of reupholstering it when I settle on fabrics. I also reupholstered our first couch and love seat that we bought in 1979. Still love it and it is in the basement.

My parents are the same way. They have a DR set that was my dad's aunt along with a bedroom set. They still have theirs that they bought back in the 60"s My mom loves her Lawsen style chairs she bought when they married 62 years ago. She just reupholsters them.

I also tire of pictures and change them out frequently.

• User
    14 years ago

I tire of the things I have bought on a whim or just because it looked like it would fill the spot. The items I have bought because I loved, I will never tire of. I have some that we bought very early in our marriage 37 years ago which I will keep forever. I have always loved to decorate with burgandy and gold even when the style was dusty rose and blue, I will never tire of burgandy.

• chinchette
    14 years ago

Red. I have a red leather sectional and I never tire of it. I have always have red shoes, or a red purse.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

James Bond!!! LOL and my dogs.

Decorating-wise...once I get a room set up, I can stick with it for a fairly long time. I always have some design project going on so that is helpful. Or I can swap out some accessories or just keep adding them.

I "love forever" the things I have inherited from my Mom & Dad. They aren't antiques that have been passed down through the ages, but are items my parents purchased. I have my parent's first bedroom set they got after they bought their first "real" house. They had an apartment house, where they lived in the big apartment on the first floor and rented out all the other apartments. I have several things from that place, but my favorites are an old ice box and a Morris recliner, some hand-made doilies, and my most cherished...my Dad's desk (which I had refinished professionally).

I never tire of the color gray...I feel comfortable around it. I have gray carpeting throughout my home and like to have a gray car exterior or interior. :-)

I love old/classic movies to see the backgrounds with beautiful furniture and fabulous clothes...gives me ideas.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I've only been decorating in an active, conscious way for eight years. So, it's hard for me to say much about forever yet.

I will say that I was able to bring a lot of things from my 1970 block ranch house in FL up here to my faux-Craftsman house in MA and the furniture fits, works and makes me happy. I suppose that means I am on the road to forever. (My husband would like that because it means not spending any more money!)

I am about to "invest" in a glass backsplash, almost the same as the one I put in my last home in 2005. I always loved it there and I know I will love I here. Is it trendy? Yes, perhaps. But, there are trends that bring us decor that will always delight the eye. I am hoping that pretty is pretty, even after it's over.

When I first read Pal's question, I though of my new/old tile and how I collected colored glass bottles as a child. So, maybe I am tapping into some old thing. The accessories thread made me think of the small collection of colored crystal tchotchkies I adore. As a new mother, my gotta-get-outta-the-house activity was a stained glass class. Maybe bits of brightly colored glass are my "forever" thing.

Conversely, the things I grow tired of are those I did not choose on my own -- the family pieces I have never totally loved, the teak shelving I bought because my husband liked it or the entertainment monster I bought for the TV because I don't want to see the electronics when they're not in use. (I left both of those last items in FL!) Now, I am dragging around the family "heirlooms" and since we have downsized, I just don't have room for them. Gonna have to let go sooner or later.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

When it comes to furniture, I love things that are well crafted, comfortable, and with elegant proportion.

When it comes to textile and rugs, I love things with beautiful intricate details and are comfortable. I know seagrass & jute rug is in now but for the life of me, I cannot love it! Give me a good hand knotted rug and I'm happy.

When it comes to rooms & houses, I love rooms that have nice ambiance & mood, rooms that make me feel comfortable, cozy, soothed. Usually, the 1st thing I notice a/b a room is its ambiance & how it makes me feel. I love rooms that seem so simple & unassuming at first, but the more you spend time in it, the more you notice all the luxurious understated details.

I love hand-embroidered flowers & monograms on ruffled sheets & pillowcases. Pile them up on a beautifully grained Empire sleigh bed & I would call it my happy nest. :-)

I'm always a sucker for anything inspired by nature (birds, bees, flowers, coral, shells motif, etc.) Turned legs on table & chair turn me on. So does tufted details & buttons on upholstery.

Color wise, I love blue in its many shades . I never got tired of pink (especially when paired with grey or brown. Greens & tangerine together would do me in. Love that. I would love grey more if I know how to use it better. I love purple when it's mauve, and vintage mustardy yellow, and chocolate brown.

I thought I'd never got tired of creamy linen, but I was proven wrong -- thanks to a million and one blogs that feature yard after yard of creamy linen & burlap. Maybe it's just a temporary overload.

I love personality in decorating. I got tired of trend but I would never get tired of personal designs. I love it when you go to the room or house and it's like you are discovering the owner's personality, the things they love, their quirks. It's a very personal & intimate glimpse into who they are. I like that.

I'm not too fond of room-in-a-bag design. Too many accessories yet none of them say anything. Recently I went to a builder models' house and I got tired after the first house. It's like looking at a catalog in 3D. So boring.

• mzdee
    14 years ago

I love:
    Solid wood
    Beautiful drapes (antique satins, silk...nothing froo-froo)
    Leather
    Beautifully framed and matted art
    and
    Sweet potato pie...........

• parma42
    14 years ago

I'm with Bella on the jutes and seagrass. With so many gorgeous rugs to choose from, I guess I just don't get the point.

What I've alway loved, and never tired of, is older wood furniture with a lot of grain.

My mother had two old round oak tables. One she cut down for a cocktail/coffee table and the other was used for a kitchen table. When I hear people cringe at oak, I hope they're just talking about the newer, cheaper oak applications.

My new DR table is a French Heritage ash with plenty of grain and I just love it.

Obviously, I love thick wood trim, also.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

antiques
    things handed down
    beautiful old linens (for beds and tables)
    fabric
    furniture/accessories, etc. that have meaning
    wood floors
    wood furniture (for the most part not painted - old is best!)
    mirrors
    old plates, old silver, etc. used in decorating
    books

tina

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Red and blue

Antique pine

Side and occasional tables

Blue and white checks, at least 2 in. wide

White cabinets

Oriental rugs

English arms on upholstered pieces

White china

Blue walls

• prill
    14 years ago

my grandmothers rocking chair
    pie safes - could never stop loving those
    yellow ware
    antiques
    blue and white
    antique pine

• teacats
    14 years ago

Some of my fav things:

-Decor books and mags
    -Our old oil portraits
    -The four prints above my sofa -- originally from 18th century and beautifully framed
    -Old satin comforters
    -old rugs and textiles
    -old silver and silverplate used for fun things
    -really must say that I love our Ikea Billy bookcases -- over 20 years old -- and really hold a lot of stuff
    -having a bunch of lamps in a room -- love lighting options

Jan

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I've *almost* always loved traditional, except for a short stint of Mediterranean during the 60's, and country during the 80's. I still love dark wood flooring as well as furniture, and that includes my Rice bed which i've had for 17 years. With re:to furniture, i'm not one to move it around once it's found it's special space, and have many vintage pieces from thrift/consignment/antique stores. I also love ambience lighting, so like teacats, have many lamps, LOTS of decorating books, and many years of decorating magazines. I love my everyday ivory dishes that i've been using for the last 5 years, as well as the creamware dish collection, which includes vases, birds, sugar bowls/creamers, etc. Old silver(mostly plate), crystal, black tole trays, old dented copper pots, are also a part of the mix of stuff I can't live without. And my crystal chandeliers~I *can't* live w/o bling!! ;o)

• kjmama
    14 years ago

Ooo I grow to enjoy more everyday - furniture from my grandparents. I love things with a history, they make me smile. Oh, and I have an oil painting of flowers that forever interests me. It changes in the light. It is the first thing I see when I wake up.

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I will never tire of my matted black and white photos in simple black art gallery frames. They line my walls and I have stacks in frames piled on the floors leaning against walls and I like that too. I'm adding new frames as I go such as gallery wood and white frames but the photos themselves will never change and I will continue to only add. I've been collecting black and whites since I was in hihg school starting w/ those from the 1800's. I scoop them up wherever I go. It has nothing to do w/ Pttery Barn either - I've been doing it way longer than PB and admittedly I sometimes get irritated when folks suggest that I'm aiming for a PB look.

Old family books. We just scored a few bags of DH's great-grandfathers books. He was an avid gardener, historian and photgrapher. Being a gardener too it's awesome to sit down and hold the same books in my hands that he held in his and share the same subject!

Pieces of old furniture that others in the family have cast off that hold great sentimental value to me:
    My drop down desk that DH's great grandfather made and the little frenchie chair that DH brought home for me to go w/ it.

DH's grandmothers writing desk that he refinished for me for my birthday.

The southwestern TV armoire that I got this past year off of CL. Almost 11yrs after seeing stuff like that on our honeymoon in NM I fell in love w/ those armoires (and soo much more) but couldn't afford to truck one home. We talked about saving our money and going back for major house shopping and driving it all back in a U-Haul to the East Cast. Didn't happen - life did.

White bedding and quilts over comforters for everyday use. Easier to wash w/ bleach w/ the pets and kids. Makes for thoughtless bed making too!

Ironstone, yelloware bowls and old silver.

• suzanne6
    14 years ago

Two things I love and will always keep to pass down someday: Our dining room table set and a painting. The dining room table set was our first "big" purchase about 17 years ago. It's a big oak table/chairs that our children have grown up gathered around and I will never replace it. The second is a painting we bought almost 20 years ago as newlyweds. We went to a local art fair and there was an elderly gentleman who painted landscapes. We had him paint us a large picture incorporating colors from our then furnishings of a beautiful mountain setting. For some reason I just love it even though it is something I wouldn't go out and purchase today.

I also agree with kjmama-furniture from my gramma & grampa. She also gave me some of her old tea cups and plates and a cookie jar that matches nothing in my kitchen but it's my favorite piece!

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I love so many things as long as it's not modern or transitional.

I love dark shiny, grainy and painted furniture.
    Good rugs that are soft under the feet.
    Lace doileys, etc.
    Big comfy coffee tables.
    Curio cabinets filled with figurines, but not modern or cutesie figurines.
    Tapestries
    Vintage kitchens
    Real or good silk flower arrangements.
    Houseplants.

Basically anything old and classic/timeless.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

I never tire of:
    beautiful woodgrained furniture
    grass cloth
    off white walls
    Wall to wall carpeting
    high ceilings
    walls of windows with great views
    stone flooring
    fireplaces
    moss rock
    big dinningroom tables

• jerseygirl_1
    14 years ago

Everything that I have in my home. Nothing is bought on a whim.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

My little vases that mother gave me.

And my leather sofa and chair by Natuzzi.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Things I love forever include:

Things which have meaning for me. For example, my father was an amateur painter as a hobby. I have some of his art in my home. Never ever will I tire of those paintings. I also have my mother's tea set which has a wonderful history of surviving two moves to different continents. I will love that forever.

Things it took me a long time to acquire. When we bought this house in 1998, I pictured built-in bookshelves along the 12' wall in the family room. It took till 2006 till I could have them built. I was lucky enough to find an extremely talented furniture builder who not only did beautful work, but who listened to what I wanted and did it exactly as ordered. I absolutely love those bookshelves, they make the room, and I'll never tire of them. I had a vision and stuck with that vision till I was able to make it reality.

Things which reflect my tastes and personality. One of the reasons it took me a long time to get those shelves is because I was saving every penny toward a kitchen remodel which we completed in Nov 2004. Every detail of that kitchen down to the most minute thing is me, including the layout design. We shopped litearlly every weekend for almost a year (maybe missed two weekends) and I saw so much and was able to feel so confident about my choices. Five+ years later, that kitchen is still "new" to me, and I love everything about it.

Another example of that, we replaced our three outer doors a couple of years ago. I wanted leaded glass but didn't want anything "off the rack". I worked with a custom door shop to design unique doors, one of which was completely my design, the other two were a combination of my and the designer's ideas. No one else has those doors. Again, they are me, and I'll love them forever. They cost me, probably at least twice what I could have paid for a standard stock item, but oh, so worth it!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Turquoise -- all the way from pale aqua to teal and virtually every shade in between. My bedroom as a child was turquoise, my bedspread now is aqua, my office is a dusty more-saturated aqua. I even have turquoise cowboy boots!

And what goes better with turquoise than red? Coral to Brick, with a soft spot for rich clear reds.

Beyond that, integrity in materials -- Things that really are what they're supposed to be. Stained wood, stone, ceramics, glass, leather, cotton, silk and wool. Things that age well.

• nanjean68
    14 years ago

We bought great furniture from great furniture industries in the 60's and I still have it all. It's been reupholstered many times over to keep up with the times but I would never buy furniture made in China when we have wonderful artisans right here in the States. My grown children don't want any of their grandparent's "stuff". They want that Pottery Barn look like everyone else their age. It lasts a few years and they throw it out and start all over with new stuff.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

DH and Princess Posie-cat
    and to quote TinaM:
    antiques
    things handed down
    beautiful old linens (for beds and tables)
    fabric
    furniture/accessories, etc. that have meaning
    wood floors
    wood furniture (for the most part not painted - old is best!)
    mirrors
    old plates, old silver, etc. used every day and for decorating
    old music books
    the colors red/moss green/gold
    stuff that has a story
    sunshine
    my piano
    my sewing machine

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Jaybird,
    beautiful.
    This post questions is reminding why I smile. : )
    thanks,
    ~boxerpups

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

my kids art projects when they were little guys
    family photos
    family antiques
    vintage/old stuff prefer to new- no soul
    old houses
    white woodwork
    oriental rugs
    limoges bone china from my MIL
    quilts
    slipcovered furniture
    wing chairs
    fireplaces
    vintage linens
    my dining room wallpaper(from 1982)
    my griswold cast iron skillets
    The Christmas ornaments my kids made
    The Christmas ornaments we picked up on our "Wild Wild West" trip in 99

• postum
    14 years ago

I try different colors but all the rooms I like end up being a combination of cream, white, and gold. I love how the colors blend into each other and glow. Strange how long it took me to realize this about myself!

As for actual "things", I love my gold velvet panels in the living and dining room, cream matellasse bedspread, white bed linens, white Corelle dishes, my funky old gas stove, a large brass terrarium, all of my houseplants, my Karastan rug, honey colored wood floors, tile counters, books, books and more books...and lots of other stuff!

Most of the things that I am NOT in love with (my sofa, my dining set) were purchases where price was the main factor. (Though there are plenty of Craigslist items in my house that I love, too.) And there are the things I have ONLY because dh or dd loved them.

• elsa42
    14 years ago

Wing Chairs. I've had a pair for about 25 years, have upholstered them twice. They need new fabric, but I still love them.
    Crystal (especially Waterford).

• leafy02
    14 years ago

The first piece of furniture I ever bought myself was an Stickley-style rocker, and I still love it.

I don't feel myself getting bored with things too often. But sometimes when I see a new color scheme or a new scale in textile designs, I really appreciate how fresh it feels, so I must be getting tired of the old ones without noticing.

At the same time, I've used the same warm colors in my houses all my adult life, and when I tried to use cool colors I really liked in other people's houses or in photos, I've ended up repainting pretty quickly, going back to my old color families.

So, call me a stick in the mud!

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I have a passion for barrel style chairs. Even wing back chairs, basically any chair that would 'hug' you.

Glass, especially art glass.

Linens, but I change them frequently. Same with rugs, I collect them and change them but I must always have 'em.

Anything sparkly...crystal chandies, candlesticks, mirrors.

And I love old, vintage silver. I've always had one of each of these types of things in my life...sometimes too much of one at a time!

• flyingflower
    14 years ago

I will always love...my 18th c. French armoire, vases filled with flowers, English secretary, pewter, toile, my Tiffany earrings and all Jane Austen movies.

Anything electronic I get the itch to replace after a few years time, technology changes so much I always want the latest and greatest.

• totallyconfused
    14 years ago

I can't think of anything decoratingwise that I love forever. I may keep things forever out of practicality, but love them forever, probably not. After a few years with something I'm starting to think how I'd like to change it next time. Drives DH crazy, but what can I do.
    Plus, as with my gardens, most of the fun is in the planning.

Totally Confused

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I started acquiring better quality decor in my late 40's; by that time, I had identified what I truly loved and could live with forever. In the next decade,
    I moved a few times, purged, repurposed, bought more things, so what I'm living with now are things that have made the "cut".

I know certain pieces will be with me till I die, other stuff I'll be able to pass along if needed.

Things that wear out, like throw cushions, will be refreshed over the years.

• runninginplace
    14 years ago

Wood floors

Seashells-decorating with them in many ways

White trim

White bed linens

White blinds

White towels (sense a theme on color???)

Family pieces from end tables to my great-aunt's linen napkins

• becktheeng
    14 years ago

Great thread...it's great to see some of my favorite things on other's lists. I have just now been able to afford to really pick things for myself and my tastes, so some I have not had for long, but others have been with me since childhood..

My mother's lenox china (now mine)
    My Grandmothers sliver tea set (also mine)
    Various crystal and sliver candle sticks of my mom & grandmothers.
    Crystal vases
    My crystal
    Doilies my mother and great grandmother made
    Silk ribbon embrodery work of my moms

Yellow, my favorite color, especially paired with blue and white.

Antique pine and newer painted pine
    Walnut furniture
    Wood floors especially wide planked pine
    Art Glass especially that made by my mom's best friend
    Ceramics in vibrant colors especially red

My broken tile backsplash (while new, is totally me) and I got to help create it:

• megpie77
    14 years ago

I'll answer why I get bored. I get bored when I pick a trendy style or something that someone else suggests or something that I get talked into, even though I like it at the time.
    Things I've always liked-I've always like beachy, cottage, farmhouse look, but not extremes of either. I have always loved craftman style homes and beautiful mill work painted white. I never tire of looking at these types of homes in mags or on the net. I also like antiques and old furniture-I could just kick myself as my mother offered me my great grandmothers Duncan and Phyfe dining table and I turned her down. That was three yrs ago when buying the home we're in. We wanted "NEW" furniture. OH how mad I am at myself.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I'll add/change out different accessories such as lamps/pillows/lampshades, etc., and that keeps me from boredom. Usually i'll take things I have in other rooms and just move them around for a new look, or maybe for a season. I find this keeps me from going out and buying things I really don't need. ;o)

• Penelope
    14 years ago

- clean-lined warm modern furniture, especially Scandanavian, and many (but not all) MCM classics

- scrubbed antique pine furniture

- the color red

- brass and copper and iron (which sadly don't always go with my modern tastes, but I work them in)

- black accents and green plants, both really warm a room