SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kendog2_gw

Can Anyone Help me Adjust my Paint Color - Faron?

kendog2
9 years ago

I'm attempting to paint gray and white horizontal stripes on my bathroom wall. For the white, I chose BM Simply white since we will be using that color for all the trim in our house. I had the color mixed in a can of Behr flat enamel and used it to cut in on the walls. I haven't rolled it yet but I can see that it looks too bright against the tile. (The tile is white but it looks really gray next to Simply white. To avoid having to buy another gallon of paint, I would like to try to re-tint it closer to the color of White Dove. I know - I should use Benjamin Moore paint but their store is 30 miles away and we can't afford to buy more paint right now.

I read the thread about paint codes and learned that paint mixing is so complex that I probably can't figure this out myself just by knowing what components are in each color.

I figured that this might also be too challenging a question for the paint mixing staff at Home Depot so I called Behr . They gave me their formula for White Dove but couldn't advise on what to add to the Simply White formula to make it look similar to White Dove. Can anyone help with this?

Here is the Simply White formula that is currently in the one gallon can of flat enamel:
AXL - 20/384ths
LL - 16/384ths

White Dove formula

C - 3 shots plus 1/2 shot
E - 1 shot plus 1/2 shot
I - 1 shot

I'm fully aware that I may not be successful in adding the right colorants to get the White Dove color in this can. If I had to do it myself, I would guess that I would need to add less of the C to compensate for the AXL that is already in there since they're both yellow but beyond that, I have no clue. Is anyone willing to give me your best guess at how to adjust this formula? Should I add some E and I or would it be better to add black to make the paint more gray? If I need to add black, how much? There is only about an inch or so of paint missing from the gallon. If it doesn't work, I'll just start over with a new gallon. Thanks.

Comments (4)