SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Coconut semolina cardamon bars and Crispy savory

gwlolo
10 years ago

It is Diwali tomorrow. So I am learning to make a few traditional indian sweets and savories from my 80 year old mother. Sharing my adventures with you all :)

Coconut Semolina Cardamom bars
This type of sweet is typically called a burfi in india and is cut into smaller squares. The texture is kind of firm and chewy .. somewhere between fudge and brittle.

Coconut and semolina are toasted in a dry hot pan and then added to a bubbling sugar syrup that in the thread stage.

The mixture is stirred constantly and cooked till the entire mixture starts foaming. You can see the beginning stages of foaming here. The cardamom powder and the toasted cashews is added at this stage.

Once the entire mixture begins to foam, quickly transfer to a greased tray. Cut the bars once the pan cools a bit. Don't wait too long as it will be hard to cut.

Slices of cocunut semolina bars

Crispy savory snack with rice and chickpea flours
A simple dough is made with 1 cup of chick pea flour and 2 cups of rice flour. Salt and a pinch of asafoetida. Add 1/4 cup of melted butter and add enough water to make a soft dough. The dough is extruded directly onto hot oil and fried till pale golden color. Stays crisp in a airtight tin for several days.

Comments (4)