SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bittersweetdreams

Can I tint KILZ Primer? -- best product to cover...

bittersweetdreams
16 years ago

I've just purchased a home and am trying to get all my research done before I close so that I'm ready to go day one! The house was a repo and is FILTHY. The ceiling has a heavy texture and the dirt is literally hanging down from the textured ceiling. I'm going to have to go over it with a shop vac before doing anything. I'm going to need a VERY good primer to go over the ceilings and walls and the trim molding (after cleaning it down with TSP) but I'm wondering if I could get away with tinting something like KILZ with a Sherwin Williams color like Favorite Tan? I don't want to have to live with sterile white, white walls and I know I won't have the strength to repaint the walls with a 'pretty' color right after painting every single wall and ceiling in the whole house before we can even move in.

Is KILZ the best covering primer out there, or is there something better I should be going after? Some of the rooms were painted (I use that term loosely) over and over again, but just in blotches, and sometimes only 1/4 of a wall before they gave up. Whatever I use is going to have to have very very good covering power... And can I use it on the trim molding also, or do I need to use something different on that? Most of the moldings were painted with at the least a semi gloss, and very dark colors...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)