SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkey_princess_101

Cooking at Grandma's

My brother and I spent this weekend with Grandma and Elery while my Mom and Dad went to Frankenmuth for their anniversary. They took a carriage ride and had champagne and chocolate, and my brother went on Saturday to help my Papa Don bag corn, so Grandma and I spent the day together.

Grandma has lots of stuff to do, so I helped her. We had poblano peppers from the garden and Grandma said I had to burn the skins off or they would be bitter, so we put them right on the stove, then ran cold water over them and washed off the skins. The tongs got hot so Grandma did most of them on the stove while I washed off the skins. Then we took out the seeds and froze them flat on baking sheets.

Friday night my brother wanted to make a "concoction", so we decided to have a cooking contest. Grandma made the rules, and the only rule was that we had to eat what we made.

My brother had chocolate pudding mixed with Oreos and Biscoff and prunes. It was......interesting. Elery ate a bite and said he liked it, but he only ate one bite. Brother ate the rest and told me it was good, but I didn't try any.

I made crackers with orange marmalade, some prunes on the side (prunes were the "secret ingredient" that we had to use), and Biscoff spread with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and a maraschino cherry. It was kind of sweet, but not bad. Elery ate all of his share.

I ate it, and it was all right, but I need to do something different with the dessert part, it was too sweet...

We had French Toast and Bacon for breakfast:

Elery was working all day Saturday on the new house, so we had to make him dinner. Grandma said she'd stop at the store, but find whatever we could use from the freezer. I found cheese tortellini, I love that, and I found this:

Oh dear, rabbit. I think I need a drink. Of Sprecher's Blueberry soda, that is:

OK, Grandma says she had a good recipe for Roasted Rabbit with Apples and Leeks. She had apples and some leeks in the freezer from this summer, but we needed a vegetable. We roasted butternut squash that was still in the garage from the garden, but I didn't eat it. Elery and Grandma did.

The rabbit had smoked paprika and garlic and fennel. I had to grind the fennel seeds in Grandma mortar and pestle. Fennel seeds are hard to crush up.

And this was dinner!

Now I have to go to bed, and let Grandma finish fixing the pictures, because I have school tomorrow.

Today we had chocolate chip pancakes and ham sandwiches on Honey Wheat Bread that Grandma made last night and we pressed 15 gallons of cider. It was very sweet and good this year.

Good night.

Makayla

Comments (9)